BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys! first post here!
okay im getting my first truck in the next month or so and im windering if its legal here in bc to weld/bolt 2 buxket seats in the back of the truck, they would be rear facing and against the back wall of the cab.
i was thinking id try to get 2 racing style bucket seats with a 4 point harness built in from pick a part.
hoping to get some legal feedback, thanks all!

· Registered
854 Posts
Wow that's cool.... It must be legal if they are factory.

· Registered
773 Posts
subaru put the seats in to make it qualify as a passenger vehicle so if they where marked as of road use only that would nullify that wouldn't it (this is pretty much redundant to ague about it as when i owned mine 15 years ago there where only four in the lower mainland and i know 2 are gone for sure so there pretty much nonexistant)

· Registered
1,056 Posts
subaru put the seats in to make it qualify as a passenger vehicle so if they where marked as of road use only that would nullify that wouldn't it (this is pretty much redundant to ague about it as when i owned mine 15 years ago there where only four in the lower mainland and i know 2 are gone for sure so there pretty much nonexistant)
I know my mom had one for two days as a courtesy car from the dealership in about 1980. They where not a hot seller with the wet weather here people didn't like cold wet passangers
I think( but not sure) that the Subaru was legal because it was factory installed and engineered to meet saftey requirerments, if you install some at home there is no quaility control on what you mount everything to and if it would hold in the event of an impact

· Registered
315 Posts
one of my buddies has a 79 brat with the rear jump seats... apparantly they're getting pretty hard to come by these days.

His now has a fuel injected 2.2 with matching trans and legacy rear suspension swapped in.

should be wicked fun once it's finished.

· Registered
8,068 Posts
what about the ford unibody pickups, technically the bed and cab are one from the factory just like a blazer.

The structure behind the front seats is the difference maker; remove it and you are now insuring as a "passenger vehicle". You might also need to ad seat belts in the back too.

· Registered
499 Posts
The structure behind the front seats is the difference maker; remove it and you are now insuring as a "passenger vehicle". You might also need to ad seat belts in the back too.
The lowrider crowd has been putting on canopy's and cutting out the rear cab and front box wall for years, I don't see them changing over to car plates......I somehow see getting ICBC to change the designation on the vehicle being the #1 problem more than actually doing the modifications needed legally.

· Registered
37 Posts
That's what the orignal suvs were in the 70s and 80s lol

· Registered
8,068 Posts
The lowrider crowd has been putting on canopy's and cutting out the rear cab and front box wall for years, I don't see them changing over to car plates......
But they could. :)

I somehow see getting ICBC to change the designation on the vehicle being the #1 problem more than actually doing the modifications needed legally.
True dat.

· Premium Member
704 Posts
Good luck with that. While ICBC will change from car to commercial if seats are permanently removed ( Blazer/Jimmy) I have never seen them go the other way as your intent would be to haul people in soemthing that is not engineered.

It does not matter that the cab and the bed are one structure. It was built and designed to haul a load in the back, not people.

I suppose if you had 100k to throw around and two ot three of those to wreck, there may be an engineer out there willing to see if it meets the standards. You'd have to be willing to throw away the money however as we had someone challenge our lighting standards as it applies to rhd. He paid an engineer around $5000 to test them only to be told that other than the rear lights, the rest did not comply.

· Registered
499 Posts
You'd have to be willing to throw away the money however as we had someone challenge our lighting standards as it applies to rhd. He paid an engineer around $5000 to test them only to be told that other than the rear lights, the rest did not comply.
then why are RHD vehicles legal if they do not meet the standards? or was this just one model?

· Registered
738 Posts
Pretty sure every car brought over here has had the headlights changed before the inspection .. the stock ones rhd come with aim there light more to the left a no no here

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.