BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok question
When you guys go for SPOA don't you find that you get way strange weight shift when climbing ledges etc. Surely the back wheels will tend to walk under the car rather than put down full traction. In addition you have to worry about axle wrap, spring sag, relocated brake lines, shock mounts, steering issues etc all to run 33s. From what I've seen of them working on the trail they do articulate heaps and they do the job but seem to get a bit scary with the weight transfer issue.
i am running 34" tyres with a 2" body lift, 2" Olm Man Emu springs and some fender trimming, yet it is very stable, don't have any axle wrap, steering etc problems.
I'm not trying to stir up trouble or anything just asking the question is SPOA the way to go or stay SPUA and do some trimming?

let's all play nicely

·
Registered
119 Posts
i think here in Canada it is mostly a cost issue. OME springs are expensive and the only other one the 3" trailmaster (which i have)is a kit and very expensive also. Most properly done spoa here include a center link of some sort. also the body lifts available are mostly 3 inch which is too much for a sammy (i have a homemade 2 inch) so it comes down to options and there are lots of backyard welders here that will do a spring over cheap (call me! J/K) Now in my opinion (flamers fuel up) i tend to agree with you about sagging springs and lack of traction but both have easy cures. i run 33's with 3 inch springs 1 inch confer shackles and a 2 inch body lift (they just fit with no rubbing) and it flexes good now that the springs are well broken in. Seems to me lots of spoa folks now want custom coils so you might consider that option as well. i'm considering a spoa shackle reversal on yj springs if i go to toyota axels. I also notice alot of people build spoa sammys with lots money into them only to realize they are gutless econo boxes and they really wanted a jeep:>HA HA (i can say this cause i own both)

G'Day Mate

------------------
my truck has metal fatigue

1 - 2 of 2 Posts