BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at these because i don't want to have to worry about my drivelines, plus from what i'm understanding is that to run a teralow4.1 or a kluneV i'll need one of these. I know the basics of it, but i was looking at the picture at the RE site of their basic kit, and it seemed very simple. Could someone go into detail, is it just kit that replaces the slip yoke, and why would i need this to add a crawling option to my 231 t-case.
Thanks
jordan

------------------
87 XJ: 4" lift, 31x10.50 BFG's, roof rack, ramsey 8000 winch, hi lift jack, cb radio, swaybars disconnected, and some other stuff

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by XJman:
I'm looking at these because i don't want to have to worry about my drivelines, plus from what i'm understanding is that to run a teralow4.1 or a kluneV i'll need one of these. I know the basics of it, but i was looking at the picture at the RE site of their basic kit, and it seemed very simple. Could someone go into detail, is it just kit that replaces the slip yoke, and why would i need this to add a crawling option to my 231 t-case.
I don't know why you'd need to add an SYE kit if you're installing 4:1 gears. With the Klune V I can see the reasoning: it adds length to your transfer case so you end up with a shorter driveshaft and consequently you need to make up for that by shortening the sliding output shaft.

The kit works by either replacing your mainshaft or providing the necessary bits so you can trim the end of your mainshaft. It also provides a yoke that can then be bolted onto the shortened shaft which will accept either a regular universal joint or a CV shaft (yoke or flange type). You will obviously need to know ahead of time which CV (or u-joint) you'll be using prior to ordering a kit.

It also provides a bearing retainer that replaces the longer tailshaft housing, along with a different seal, I think.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
Registered
160 Posts
Reason they recommend it for the 4:1 conversion is that the kits that replace the main shaft strenghten the output of the t-case.

------------------
90 Sub,496BBC,d60,14b,detroits f+r, 44 boggers,th400,np205,insane ,warn15000,balls of steel

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think its because the 4.1 kit will grenade the t-case and everything.
Huh? What's that have to do with a short shaft/sye kit?

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by camoburban:
Reason they recommend it for the 4:1 conversion is that the kits that replace the main shaft strenghten the output of the t-case.
They should be more specific, then, because only one or two of the replacement mainshaft SYE kits come with stronger mainshafts. Most come with shortened stock mainshafts.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.