BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked myself up a set of these high intensity reverse lights from lordco ($15, wow!). can i just splice them on to my existing reverse lights or is there more to it then that? if i want them on a switch, what else will i need? thanks

------------------
'tis a bonny cereal, BUT IT'S NOT OATMEAL!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You can splice into the existing reverse lights but I would put them on a switch so you can put them on when some guy has his high beams on behind you and it's good to have them on a switch for loading stuff.

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can u give me a quick walkthrough of how to wire them up to a switch?

------------------

G

·
What Lordco store and what type and size are the lights, 'cause that seems like a good deal.
You'll need...
switch, inline fuse holder, 30A fuse, light relay and wire.
The relay has 4 conections, battery power in and out, one for ground, and one from the switch. They are numbered and the relay usually has a diagram on the side to show you which to plug each wire on for proper operation.(I just don't have one on me to tell you which are which)
Okay, pick up power at the fuse box, run it to the switch, from switch to the relay, usually mounted on firewall or anywhere out of the elements. Now from the relay to ground, use the relay mounting screw for this.
Get battery power, add inline fuse where you pickup bat power. Run this to the relay, then from the relay to the back-up lights. Ground lights. It's as simple as that.
Low power lights you can get away with probably 14 gauge wire, and the wire from the switch to relay you could use 16 gauge.
Hope this is understandable!

------------------
'94 Chev 1/2ton 6"ProComp
(one day I'll do a SAS)
'89 Sidekick 3" body, 31'S
513's, E-Z Locker

·
Registered
41 Posts
A typical relay should have an 85, 86, 87, 87A, and a 30. These are common to all brands(at least they should be). Anyway, the 30 is connected to your source voltage (directly to battery or junction block, or wherever you rob the power from to power your lights). The 85 and 86 are the power and ground to power the relay. if you want to swich the positive side... put your toggle switch in series on the 85 or 86 to a positive source. The 85 or 86 that you didn't use goes to ground. if you want to switch the ground... put the 85 or 86 in series with the toggle to ground and the other to power. 87 and 87A are to go to the lights. If you only have one 87... split it off to the lights. Hope this helps.

------------------
Loose nut behind the Wheel

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i picked them up from lordco in newton. they're made by grote and the part # is 64931. ($15 each by the way)

------------------

[This message has been edited by SizzleChest (edited January 08, 2002).]

·
1,269 Posts
Good relays and switches are important. Lordco sells Hella relays and some nice switches that won't fry themselves immediately if you happen to hook the relay up wrong. The $2 switches from Cambodian tire often crap themselves after a few uses.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

[This message has been edited by Big Bad Pete (edited January 08, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
To wire up run a wire from the battery with an inline fuse to a switch in your truck then run another wire from the switch to your lights, don't forget to ground the lights, it's that easy.

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ummm, what?

i bought all the parts: switch, relay, inline fuse w/30A fuse, 16 gauge wire. the relay has the 5 connections (85,86,87,87a,30). is this right so far?

+ BATTERY to INLINE FUSE to 30
87 to LIGHT
87A to LIGHT
85 to + SWITCH
86 to GROUND (relay mounting screw)

the switch has 3 connectors, one to 85, one to ground. what's the other for? how do i ground the lights when there's only one wire coming out of them?

------------------

G

·
If there's only one wire out of the lights, they ground through the mounting bolt. If you bought a switch that lights up, there will be three prongs on it.
One from power, one to relay, and a ground.
And, yes you've got the right parts.
pitter was just tryin' to tell you how to do it minus the relay. Using a relay is the correct way of wiring any extra lights on you truck.
IGNORE 87a all together.
The rest are right!
Run one wire from 87 to the back and jump it from one light to the other.
Make sure you have a good ground at all points or it will not work for you.

------------------
(one day I'll do a SAS)
513's, E-Z Locker

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
one of the prongs on the switch goes directly to the battery?

------------------

G

·
It doesn't have to go to the battery, you need power to activate the relay.
I usually get power from the fusebox so you don't have to many wires passing in and out of the cab.
Okay, you need a small amount of power to operate the relay, so, the switch needs 1-power (from any constant source) 2- a ground(so the light in the switch will work) 3- the wire that runs to your relay.
To much input starts to get confusing a bit eh?

------------------
(one day I'll do a SAS)
513's, E-Z Locker

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks JC! they work! only problem now is figuring out where to run the wiring from the relay to the lights

------------------

G

·
Good, try and tuck it in the frame to keep it out of harms way.
Now to get some done on my Sidekick!!
Later.

------------------
(one day I'll do a SAS)
513's, E-Z Locker

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pfft, one of the bulbs blew up after being on for only 10 seconds!

------------------

G

·
Take it back and get a freebee!

------------------
(one day I'll do a SAS)
513's, E-Z Locker

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
damn straight!

------------------

·
Registered
376 Posts
Heres a thought you can also control the relay thru the ground ckt. Instead of grounding the relay you could ground the relay thru the switch and thus have no juice flowing thru the switch. Just a thought.

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that's exactly what i was looking for... before i finished the job. hey JC, you sure i can't use 87A?

------------------

1 - 20 of 23 Posts