BC 4x4 Forums banner

Canadiacrap Tire tow straps

5K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  Minesbigger33 
#1 ·
Howdy,

Anybody had bad expierences with Canadian Tire tow straps.
I busted two this weekend and they were only two months old.

Anybody try to return them without a receipt? I gonna try later today.

FIN.

#5 ·
guys please be careful when bashing a place like canadian tire. true they might sell some cheap junk but IMHO they have an excellent line of tools, better known as the professional series. they are really nice to use and you have to love the over the counter warrenty that master craft stands behind 100%. the prices are quite reasonable too (even better when they go on sale) that is why my tool box is full of professional series stuff.

think of it this way...princess auto sells some total crap but i don't really see or hear anyone bashing them. everything you buy should be viewed as 'buyer be ware' if you take this attitude and don't take $ short cuts then you should be fine.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA w/ tuff country springs, np435, twin sticked d20, d44, 9", detroit, hi steer...and a autometer/CJ dash!!!

#6 ·
Hey cornjeeper, I don't think you should take cambodian tire bashing to heart, it's only a F*****N store man. Why the hell buy tow straps from cambodian tire in the first place? why not NSOR or Sport trucks?

------------------
91' Yoti with the Son of the Devil screaming and cursing at you from behind the wheel!

#7 ·
Cause I can see Canadian Tire from my house, and Sport Truck and NSOR are far far away from me, and only open during the hours that I'm at work.

Make sure you buy a tug strap, you may have mistakenly bougth a tow strap.

Also what brand are they? Are they truly Canadian Tire brand or are they some made in taiwan thing?

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

#8 ·
Another thing with tow straps is if you leave them in you truck covered with mud they rot.Maybe thats why yours broke after 2 months.I always wash and dry mine after use and haven't broken it yet.

------------------
"Born and Bred To Rip and Shred"

#10 ·
Originally posted by MetalToy:
Hey cornjeeper, I don't think you should take cambodian tire bashing to heart, it's only a F*****N store man. Why the hell buy tow straps from cambodian tire in the first place? why not NSOR or Sport trucks?

Why would someone want to pay $80 for something from NSOR or Sport Trucks when you can get the same thing for $60 at Canadian Tire?

I've been using the tow straps from Canadian Tire for years and the only failure was because of a sharp edge where the strap was hooked on.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Burnaby, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

I was going to go crazy but then I realized that I already have a summer home there.

#11 ·
Yeah cargo straps work fine. I used to use cargo straps, they stretch just like a tug strap, and they're load rated about the same.

I went to a procomp strap though, it takes up less room

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.

#12 ·
I've been using the "recovery straps" from Crappy Tire for YEARS, no probs, just like callan says, wash them and dry them. take care of equipment and it will last a long time.
As well as their Pro series tools, have been collecting Mac and SnapOn for MANY years, but am slowly turning towards the Pro series....excellent quality and no problems with ANY of them yet, cant say so much for SnapOn....

As well as returning things to Can Tire, with or without a receipt, as long as it hasnt been abused....never a problem.

Cheers,
Ash

------------------
89 YJ built tough, NOT pretty
02 Liberty
57 Chev pickup streetrod

#13 ·
Has everyone forgotten about craftsman? I mean, Sears hasn't gone out of business in Canada. Craftsman has a WAY better reputation, WAY better selection, WAY better warranty. To top it all off, I have compared prices and craftsman, on average, are only like 50 cents to a dollar more than mastercraft stuff.

#14 ·
All my tools are Craftsman. They are great. I have never broken one, but if you do manage to break one you just take it in to Sears and they give you a new one, no questions asked.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

#16 ·
I have broken lots of Craftsmen tools but never a Pro series from Can tire...And the Pro Series are way more comfortable..

#17 ·
I busted my 3/8" rachet usin it for something I should have been using a 1/2" for but anyway ... took it in to can tire and since the didn't have a new drive head (they are replaceable on the PRO series) in stock they gave me a brand new rachet off the shelf, not a question asked.
Problem with sears is availability ... our sears outlet in Duncan is a mail order outlet. No tools. With canuck tire I don't have to wait for it to come in or drive 75 Kms to get a new one.

------------------
81 Bronco 33s
92 YJ 31s
84 Bronchial spasm

#18 ·
I have had canuck tire tools before as well and I have always been very happy with their service and warranty-although it never hurts to have a friend who works at one. I got a Husky tool set for christmas-from Home Depot-and I love it,they have an awesome warranty and I only know of one friend who broke a ratchet and thats cause he left it in the rain. When I went in to get a bigger set(my parents gave me a $35 dollar one) they did not have the next set up which was $50 so he gave me the $80 for 50 bucks-pretty good deal.These are great tools and have a great warranty as well-and they are about the same as canuck tire or maybe a little better.
Well thats my .02
Brett

------------------
85 Yota- 33 inch Thornbirds,3 inch trailmaster susp lift, smittybuilt bush bar,roll bar,8 offroad lights,insane pioneer stereo with 2 JL-10 inch subs in custom box,K&N air,new engine and of course a good'ol CB radio
-TRUCKS ARE MEANT TO BE RAISED NOT LOWERED-

#20 ·
Originally posted by double-barrell-darrell:
Then one of them snagged on my hook and was ripped to shreds.
Ripping on the hook point is a big problem with the stock TJ tow hooks.

As for the stiching, if the straps were taken care of then I would guess there might have been a bad batch.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

#21 ·
Originally posted by Chris S:
Ripping on the hook point is a big problem with the stock TJ tow hooks.

As for the stiching, if the straps were taken care of then I would guess there might have been a bad batch.

My truck is actually a 4runner,..but anyway.
My straps are only two months old,...used for maybe 4 total days.
Even if I misused them,..although I am not saying I have ....should't they still lasted longer than 2 months?

FIN,

#22 ·
@ Cambodian Tire the other day:

Me: "Hi, I broke this socket, can I have a new one?"
Dude: "Uhh, this thing is shattered. You weren't using it on an IMPACT GUN were you???"
Me: "No of course not don't be silly.
"
Dude: "Here's your new socket sir."

Gotta love that warranty!

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

#23 ·
If you attach the strap to a clevis you won't rip it on the tow hook.

As far as mis-using a strap, it could only take 60 seconds, depending on how you're mis-using it (not saying that you were).

For care, wash your strap after use; dirty straps contain silicate particles which will cut the threads as the strap is moved.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

#24 ·
I just can't run out to sears or Canadian Tire when I break a tool. I make my living with them, and I really get sick of going to sears or CanTire every day.
So now when I break something, I just call my SnapOn guy and say,
HEY THIS STUPID THING BROKE ON ME IN THE MIDDLE OF A JOB! GET THE HELL DOWN HERE AND GIVE ME A NEW ONE!!!!
Then he shows up with a new one. Sure you pay a little more, but for that kind of service I dont mind paying a little more

------------------
Dan

#25 ·
The thing i like about being a machine operator is you always have steel braded cables. They wheigh a ton but last forever and ar as tough as $&!^!! I am constantly recovering stuck dozers weighing over 60 000 lbs and have never broken one yet... I carry a 6 ft length for a choker and a 20 ft length for a TOW cable. I am not sure of the cost but you can most likely get one from any trucking dealer or equipment sales place. eg. Finning, or Kenworth etc...
As for the Canuky tire i have moved them to the bottom of thre list of stores i will go to get parts for my truck. (one bad experience with a parts manager and thats it for me).They wouldn't stand behind there product p/s pump.
Now thats my 2cents...

------------------
89' F250 XLT Lariat, 7.3 Diesel, D50TTb, D60, 285/75-16 MT KM's, 12,000 Warn winch.

#26 ·
Originally posted by double-barrell-darrell:
Howdy,

Anybody had bad expierences with Canadian Tire tow straps.
I busted two this weekend and they were only two months old.

Anybody try to return them without a receipt? I gonna try later today.

FIN.
No problems with tow straps, but ive had problems with just about everything else ive bought there.Make a scene and they'll take it back. To be quite honest,Crappy Tire has to be the worst,most dis-organized,crapiest organization in the country. My advise
ONT BUY ANYTHING AT CANADIAN TIRE!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.