BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1986 Suzuki Samurai 1.3l carb model. While driving after a while (approx 30 mins) the motor seems to lose power, it feels like the carb is flooding out and the gas pedal has to be pressed all the way down and keep reving just to move, its also smells like crap inside the cab, if I turn the motor off for a short time it seems to clear up for a short while (another 30 mins or so) I have replaced the coil, cleaned the carb and everything that I know to do.

Anyone else here experience that type of thing? Now the previous owner removed the hose and the heat panel that goes to the exhaust manifold (dont know why?) that supplies warm air to the air cleaner so I am thinking that the carb is icing up due to lack of hot air to the carb? Whats an easy fix as I dont have the part to get it back to stock?

Anyways, if anyone can provide me with some type of info it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just had the same problem with my Samurai. Only it'll get worse. It turns out that it was my fuel pump. The diaphram inside the pump goes and leaks oil. If you feel on the bottom of your fuel pump there is a nipple thing that is probley leaking oil, which indicates your pump is screwed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hummmmmmmmm, just checked and its not leaking anything but there is some residue under the pump. Not alot though.........

·
Registered
229 Posts
Does yours have an O2 sensor? My 87 ran like **** because I had to make the wire on the O2 sensor longer to install my hedman header. The engine would run rich and then lean, stalling out and lossing power on the highway sucks.

------------------
1991 4Dr Sidekick JLX
Calmini Lift (SOON)
29/11.5/15 (On Order) Kills! Let Me Drive And We Will Live Forever)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Definitely agree with you and Moose, sounds like carb icing to me. Next time it happens, pull the aircleaner off and look down the throat of the carb. Best thing to do is replace the tube from the manifold to the air intake. Also, make sure that the coolant lines that go to the carb are connected and not plugged.

Alternatively you could just add a snorkel to the system and just run it in under the dash so it can suck warm air in from the cab.

HTH,
Robin.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, it is icing for sure. I ran another tube from the aircleaner today just into the engine compartment and no problems at all. I like the idea of running the tube into the cab, I think I'll do that.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Lee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts