BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a simple way to remove carrier bearings (without buying special tools of course, that would be too easy)? I have tried a two finger puller, but there just isn't enough lip to grab onto.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you have the two jaw puller you should contour grind the tips to fit into the little recess in the carrier
then grind a notch in the outside of both jaws
wrap a chain vise grip around the whole puller and crank that sucker down
the 'real' pullers have a draw bolt to clamp the jaws together (into the recesses)

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender
Gradually becoming un-toyotafied.......Got 4.3???
http://www.ottindustries.com

[This message has been edited by ChrisOlson (edited November 30, 2001).]

·
Registered
443 Posts
ya i had this problem with my car, get a slide hammer with a two finger puller (one that's adjustable, and just pound it out, that is if you're getting a new one, if not this is not such a good idea, for sure you'll smashit to bits

------------------
81 rust bucket Bronco 33" muds just for havin fun

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. I was able to scrounge up a 'guillotine' type bearing puller which worked fairly well. Although, on the ring gear side of the carrier the puller wouldn't fit between the bearing and the housing. I ended up taking off the bearing cage on that bearing and then I was able to grab onto the top lip of the bearing.

The new bearings are in now, sure hope I don't have to change shims!

Thanks again for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.