BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is all years off samurai carriers the same? I have a 1990 samurai and I can't get a locker in the front because they(Suzuki) changed the front carrier so it wouldn't accept lockers. what year of carrier do I need to get so that I will be able get a locker? are they all the same or did Suzuki change the carrier in a particular year?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by earnie:
is all years off samurai carriers the same? I have a 1990 samurai and I can't get a locker in the front because they(Suzuki) changed the front carrier so it wouldn't accept lockers. what year of carrier do I need to get so that I will be able get a locker? are they all the same or did Suzuki change the carrier in a particular year?
I think 89 and newer have funky carriers, You would be alright if you used 86-88 carrier, not sure about 88.5

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by earnie:
I think all 88.5+ have 2_pin carrier. All pre-88.5 have 4_pin carrier (stronger). U can just swap the carrier and enjoy your locker :)
One mo' thing: the 2_pin carriers have a bit bigger driveshaft mounting flange, so u need to swap the driveshaft and t/case flange as well, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

HIH

------------------
-marker

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hey Eric, thanks for the help installing my sm420.
I took it for a spin the other day, and it really crawls now!
The trannny has a tack tack tack tack noise when coasting in nuetral, not that I should be coasting in nuetral at speed anyway.
I'm gonna drive it anyway, the tranny was cheap. Black hills here I come!!

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do I have to swap flanges or can I just swap the carrier and throw in a locker? I would rather not go to all the trouble of switching flanges.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There not the same. There are two pin carriers in the newer sammies. You can see the spiders inside. Perfect for welding. You can just swap carriers.

[This message has been edited by jonesk9 (edited March 03, 2002).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts