BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled my cat out today and well its basically clogged. Is it worth it to get a highflow cat or can i just skip the cat all together? Will it pass aircare?88 4runner 22re 240k and it runs good
Thanks for any help

[This message has been edited by Pw82 (edited March 22, 2002).]

·
1,269 Posts
If it runs really good it could probably pass without one. Whether or not they'd let you test it is another matter. I put mine back in every year for Aircare then drive straight home and take it back out.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

[This message has been edited by Big Bad Pete (edited March 22, 2002).]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes there can be drawbacks. Engines that lack torque such as toy 4cyl. need some backpressure to have any low end power. Taking the cat out will probably be a benefit if you dont have an aftermarket freeflow exhaust.

G

·
I've had the cat out of mine for over a year now, never regretted it. I wouldnt worry about a lack of backpressure.

------------------
88, Stock IFS, and I like it

·
Registered
389 Posts
what to do
ok
take a punch and bang out the guts of the cat
and put the cat back on the truck
it will pass air care
and in a few years like 5 or less air care is gone from fraser valley any ways
but it willpass as long as no lumpy cam and runs good.

Originally posted by Pw82:
I just pulled my cat out today and well its basically clogged. Is it worth it to get a highflow cat or can i just skip the cat all together? Will it pass aircare?88 4runner 22re 240k and it runs good
Thanks for any help

[This message has been edited by Pw82 (edited March 22, 2002).]

------------------
"4x4s eat MORE BUSH!!!"

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I am so glad that we don't have to worry about emissions in SK.
Bang the guts out or pull it off, backpressure really doesn't apply here at all.
Your engine will probably run better without the plugged cat.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Not sure if it was what bravenight was trying to say, but I've heard of people taking out all the insides of the cat (or making a new, empty, one) and just running with that.

Mainly because they are lazy and don't want to have to swap it back in for AirCare.

------------------
Goof

My truck? Ya, um, right...can I have yours?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I yanked mine (my cat that is) right after air care and with my stock replacement muffler from Can Tire I have gained almost nothing.

It's a little noisier (actually sounds alot better once I get past 3000rpm) and I may have made marginal gains in power at certain rpm but it's not worth the time it took, and that wasn't much.

If it's plugged then lose it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts