BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of CB's or VHF's do you guys use and how much are you able to pick them up for?

·
Registered
177 Posts
all the guys i know use cheap radio shack or jsut used cbs, the key is to get a good antenna...once again you can try radio shack...i got a 4 foot fiberglass one with all the moutngin stuff for 40 bucks. as far as i know a cb is a cb....but the key to getting to use it properly is havign a good antennae to get good recpetion....but then again, ive only used and hooked up one cb so take it for what its worth.

G

·
I use both VHF and CB radios. My VHF is a Midland 40 Channel model and my CB is a Uniden 810 40 Channel. Far more range with the VHF but I need to program in separate frequencies if I want to use it out of the Northern BC area. CB's are pretty well universal radios but suffer short range cabability.

Example: I can easily transmit 40 Kms with my VHF radio whereas my CB would only transmit about 5 kms in similar terrain. With the proper repeater frequencies, my VHF can transmit hundreds of kms.

I paid about 250 bucks for my Uniden installed about 2 years ago, but the VHF will set you back about a grand. Also, if the VHF radio you purchase is not self-programable you will have to factor in the cost for a radio technician to program your radio for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts