BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a CB for my B-day, now I just need an Antenae and some time to install.

What's the best type of Antenae for a CB? Style, Manufacturer?

And where's the best location to mount it? Higher seems better, but my rig is pretty tall already and I don't want to be tagging everything with the ole Antenae.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
I use a 4' Wilson Flex with no spring mount. I mounted it fairly high on my Jeep (above the top of the tub, btwn the tailgate and spare tire). It hits the garage all the time but true to its name, it flexes will and damage has not been a problem. It transmits and receives very well. My cheapo Radio Shack CB works very well now.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
I will second that choice on the Wilson. It is relatively inexpensive and works very well. I also run a cheap RS CB with the Wilson Flex 4' and this combination has served me well.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Truckers swear by the Wilson's... since I sell cell phones, I can also vouch for the fact that they make the best cell car antenna on the planet. Even got one on order.

·
Registered
200 Posts
personaly I have used a 9' steel whip for years, and it has done me just fine. i have also used magnet mounts, but they aren't so great on the trail, one little branch and there goes the antena. Firestik's work fine if you can get one tuned just right to your radio, I have got a couple for the truck but they aren't matched too well with my radio. mounting is better if you can get it as far away from the engine as possible, mount it so that the top of the antena plus 3 or 4 inches is showing above the roof of the vehicle, that will give you your best transmit and recieve signals. if you have to mount on the front, keep the coax away from the electrical wiring harness or be prepared for major engine feedback through the radio. when putting the ground in, make sure that it is grounded 110%. if you don't have a good ground then you can blow your radio with one key-up. trust me on that one. and don't key the radio without having an antena attached to it, but remember before you do anything with the raio, match the antena using an SWR meter (available at any communication stores for around $30 or so) the match should be anywhere between o.1 (best) to 2.5 (not the greatest) if you go any higher than 2.5 you better not use the radio cause you can fry the radio trust me on that one too:D i think that should about cover it, and more questions??:soso :read

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where can you find one of the Wilsons or any other good ones out there. I have a cheap magnet mount one, and it works but I took a long trip with 3 friends and all of theirs worked fine and my was terrible if they were more than a 1/2 mile ahead of me. I know the magnet mount is probably not the best for a vehicle with out a metal roof. I found it worked a little better on the fender than sitting on the hood but not much.

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
You can pick up a Wilson from NSOR in North Van or Sport Trucks in Langley.

·
Registered
363 Posts
hey Calvin, if you decide to go with a firestick, there is a place here in salmon arm that sells them very cheap according to hamish. i should be coming through k-town this weekend and again next weekend to the bbq. they may also sell others, but im not sure. if you want me to pick one up for you give me a call. 833-2596

·
Registered
229 Posts
I personally have owned two firestik's now and have loved them. They are great with the tuneablr tip(cap srew in the tip.) They are stiff compared to Lars but witha sort spring they flex fine. I learned the hard way about springs when I snapped my 5 footer off when Lars was in the Okanagan.

I can get the tuneable tip firestik's in Penticton (3' only.) You can get 4 and 5 footers up by Jeremy's place(cut to tune.)

I still have Shawn's SWR meter so we can tune your anttena as soon as you get one.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Hamish!

I ended up buying a 5' Wilson antenae. The salesman was bending the crap outa it and i still looked good so I'm no longer worried about tagging the trees.

I've got a friend who works in the communication business and has a fancy $2000 digital SWR meter. (it even does time domain reflectometry) So hopefully I'll have it in and tuned by the end of this weekend.

So my next question:
What channel should I have my CB on when I tune the antenae? I don't have a particular channel I always use or anything. Split the difference and tune on channel 20?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey Kalvin I'm always on ch.4 Lets try it some weeknight when your done. Day and time, considering I live so close.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
killerbugsbunny said:
Hey Kalvin I'm always on ch.4 Lets try it some weeknight when your done. Day and time, considering I live so close.
Hey Jeff!

I was actually planning on calling you up! Will give you a call in the next couple of nights. My weather channel comes in crystal clear tho!

P.S. The antenae was about $100

·
Registered
108 Posts
Gto a Cobra and a Firestik, but how the heck do I tune this thing? Signal's kinda weak over here.

Thanks.
Cheers!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You need a SWR meter (not sure what it stands for).

To tune the antenae, you change it's length.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow...really? Not even sure if this Firestik even adjusts in that way...gotta check that out...eek!

Thanks for the tip though.
Cheers!

·
Registered
229 Posts
SWR= Standing Wave Ratio

Basically how much of the radios out put power is being sent back to the radio.

Atleast that is what I have been taught.

Firestiks are tuneable: either cut to tune or with the set scre on top. But all firestiks are tuneable.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I use a radio shack magnet mount and for a piece of crap it seems to work descent. To you guys who were at stave on sunday, i dont know where you were but i could hear you loud and clear, with the antenna in the cab of the truck because it kept getting nocked off by branches.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts