BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question had been asked several times and I'm just curious on getting a little more info... bare with me... I've read the YJ FAQ about swapping in a late 70's master cylinder from a ford for four wheel discs. However, I've been thinking about a different route... has anyone consider swapping in a hydraboost from, say a 4 wheel disc 70's cadillac? I was thinking that this might be a better route to take... or are there any other brake mods that are cheap and somewhat easy to accomplish?

Thanks for any help!

-josh

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't know anyone who's done this locally, and I don't know anything about the hydroboost system either

The only reason the ford m/c upgrade is so popular is that it's more or less bolt-on. Installing the hydroboost system will require custom work unless by chance the pump, hoses, booster, and everything else just happen to bolt up.

Keep hunting. If it's been done there's probably a writeup online somewhere. Failing that, have a go at it yourself, and let us know how it goes!

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
149 Posts
The other popular one in is a late 70's lincoln. I can't remember the exact model, but it's what I used. I just needed to use a brake flaring tool to change the fittings since they were a little different. no big deal really. Big improvement in brake pedal feel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll probably keep with a vacuum booster. I looked a little more into it. I've heard of two problems now with a hydraulic rather than vacuum assisted booster. First, they definitley are prone to leaks. Second, and more importantly, you could loose braking if your belts began to slip (water crossings)... since the hydroboost depends on your power steering pump for hydraulic power. So, I think I'm gonna stick with a stock YJ booster with a 78 ford MC... I'll also look into the 70's lincoln... Hmmm... I wonder which one has a larger bore?

Thanks.

-Josh

·
Registered
36 Posts
My old chevy had a hydroboost system that crapped out and I didn't like it a bit. Both my steering and brakes went to arm-strong power and with a big truck it is no fun expecially with bigger than stock tires
It's really a good system when it works but beware if it doesn't. Thats my story.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.