BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I need some help checking a frame for straightness.

I have a CJ7 with a twisted frame. Looks like it was hit hard on one side from underneath (There's a dent right behind the
front spring rear mount). It's pushed up one inch in the middle on the drivers side and about an inch on the rear passenger
side. So, I've been looking for a replacement as I have a newer YJ tub and I don't want to put a lot time and effort on top of a
bent frame.

I've located an '81 frame that checks out level front to back. The problem with this frame is the meaurement from corner to
corner is 3/4" longer from the drivers front to passenger body mount in front of rear tire compared to the measurement from
passenger front to drivers mount in front of rear tire. The frame rails measure equal from front to rear so it appears to me that
one corner was hit hard and has pushed the frame out of alignment.

If I was to use this frame without having it straightened (not sure if this is possible) I am thinking that the motor would not sit
square in the frame which would affect the angle of the rear driveshaft. Also the axles would not be square to the frame so it
may dog track? Would this be noticeable when driving behind the jeep.

Anyone have and idea if this could be fixed or if the 3/4" is enough to cause problems?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
109 Posts
hey Ken i'm thinking of doing the same thing yj on cj frame. I would say that if your going to do all that work why not have it 100% and either get the frame straightened or just get a better one. I'm sure that it will dog leg and it will be noticeable!
why wonder, be 100% and don't play around with the bad frame.

i'm still interested in the roll bar but time is the prob. What did you pay for the yj Body? and what did you get with it(extras)?

Rob

------------------
89 yj major cash pit

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Rob, I talked to a frame shop and they said if the frame measures 3/4" longer on one diagonal measurement that one frame rail is roughly half that distance ahead of the other rail. I spoke to a few shops that can straighten it and the cost would be $250 if the repair goes smooth and up to $500 if they have problems. With my luck there would be problems. He also didn't think that one frame rail being 3/8" ahead would cause the jeep to dog leg badly and wouldn't be noticeable unless you were really looking for it. If the front end wasn't more than 1" over I could live with that.

I bought a '78 CJ7 that came with the '92 tub, '95 seats, '92 rollbar, nice CJ tailgate. It also came with a bunch of other spare parts so I can't really say what the tub costed me in the end.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that I am on a tight budget and buying a brand new frame is out of the question.

Ken

[This message has been edited by KO (edited February 24, 2002).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts