BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my friends

The wife and myself are talking about trading in the ol' YJ. Yup the family Jeep may soon be on a dealer lot near you. But don't fret fellow Jeepers it looks like a cherokee may be adopted to make up for the Void.

I am totally impressed with cherokees such as Dan Brahma's cherokee or Dave (aka Jackpine's) cherokee and Dale Mcgreggor's cherokee.

we want to expand our family in the up comming 2 years or so. So we need something more practical but functional and we all know squeezing a baby and a 140 pound rotti plus gear in a YJ is a task in itself, not something I'm up for

so with the help of my BC4x4 friends I would like to know a few questions regarding
the cherokee.....

1).... what years are good to look for
2).... what transmissions were offered and when and which do you recomend
3).... which year came with the D44 or the 8 1/4 rear ends and was it included in a package like the towing package or off road package or sport package etc etc.
4).... we are going to be looking for something newer 95ish and up
5).... are there any years to avaoid for whatever reason.
6).... If I do find one is there anyone who can take a look at it for me to help me know if its a good vehicle or not.
7)....It will be modified soon after purchase and I would also like to know what the better suspensions are for it, I would want something in the 4.5 inch range if possible.

Thanks in advance folks
I'm a little giddy with excitment
hehe

Jason

------------------
1990 YJ. Lots O'Fun
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by IBJeepin2 (edited January 30, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by IBJeepin2 (edited January 30, 2002).]

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah forgot to mention we would preffer an auto tranny and with that said did the cherokee come with a half decent auto tranny.
We would install a tranny cooler right away. But like I said did they offer a good auto tranny with the cherokee

thanks Jason

------------------
1990 YJ. Lots O'Fun
[email protected]

·
Registered
92 Posts
i have a 98 cherokee sport 2dr.
very reliable,and economical.
will pretty well go anywhere i can walk.
my recomendation is to purchase '97 and
prior.in '98 jeep changed the onboard
diagnostics and is fairly complicated when
trying to retrieve trouble codes.shop time
and a scanner is needed.i believe that '97
and newer all have 81/4 as stock item.
a good choice,i love mine and should have
bought one years ago.4.0L has more than
enough power,and with the 4spd automatic
trans,climbing without risk of stalling is
perfect for me.my unit is stock,but i have
plans for a 6 inch suspension lift.
hope this helps.
cheers: eric

------------------
when i die ,the jeep goes with me!

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Late 91, early 92 was the changeover year. The 4.0 became the H.O. The AW4 is a great automatic. Non-disconect front axles started somewhere around then, dont know when, people keep arguing that my 91 should have a disconect, but it doesnt. Also the first year for the three point rear seat belts.
I've seen an 8.25 rear in most every one I've seen, but I dont know how common they really are. Mine has it.

My transfer case of choice would be the 242, but you can live with a 231 just fine.

Plan for a slip yoke eliminator if you want to go much higher that a couple inches.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Larry

the aw-4 , is available in what years.

Dan

what did you mean by saying the front axle is non-disconect and which years had the 242 t-case .

actually fella's out of the say 92 and upish cherokee's which would be ideal to wheel and with what options
ie: 242 t-case, 8.25 rear end, aw-4 tranny, ect ect ect

thanks
Jason

------------------
1990 YJ. Lots O'Fun
[email protected]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Jason,

Glad to hear you're considering an XJ - and a family!!!!

Chris Susut on this list is somewhat of an XJ expert and he can probably tell you just about everything about options, etc. but here's a couple things I've learned from other sources over the years (I hope its all accurrate, but I'm sure I'll be corrected if not):

- I'm not sure what the first year for the 8 1/4 was, but I'm pretty sure at the very least they came in non-abs models from at least 91 - 96. As someone else pointed out, I think the post 1996 models all came with the 8 1/4.

- As Dan pointed out, 91 was the first year for the H.O. 4.0,

- Around 1990- 1991 they ipgraded the cooling system

- In 1996 or 1997 they made improvements to the 4.0 to get ride of the famous 4.0 rattle. Mine came right off the lot with it - many complaints to the dealer never found anything wrong, and I must admist with 6 years and 175,000 km on the motor, I have no noticable loss of power and its burns absolutely no oil whatsoever, so eventhough its annoying, it apparently is not a problem.

- Don't know much about the trannies, but I've heard many good comments about the full time tcase

- I'v heard people say to look at the A pillars, and the pinch seems at the top of the body when the lift gate is open.

- lots of lift options these days. I've got an old style Tomken which I've been happy with, but it seems the concensus is that the Rubicon Express lift is sort of the leader, and I guess the big Rock Ready kits are getting popular as well. If you lift it much more that 4" without dropping the tcase a bit, you will probably need a SYE kit. I know one or two people that just had the driveshaft extended a bit and that helped and I also understand that the tailshaft cone from a YJ can offer a bit more angle.

Anyway, just a few bits and pieces from a non-expert.

Dave.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Instead of locking hubs vacuum disconects were used in the earlier front axles to disconect the front axle to save a couple mpg or something, I dont know.
My axle has no means of disconecting, the gears are turning all the time, the non-disconect axles are slightly stronger.

Oh yeah, when the 4.0 became the H.O. it got a regular cooling system with a real radiator cap.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by IBJeepin2:
Larry

the aw-4 , is available in what years.
I don't know about the really early Cherokees but any automatic from '88 and up will definitely be the AW4.

actually fella's out of the say 92 and upish cherokee's which would be ideal to wheel and with what options
ie: 242 t-case, 8.25 rear end, aw-4 tranny,
8.25 rear end, aw4 tranny, 242 case...that sounds good to me. The 242 isn't required for 'wheeling but it's handy if you spend a lot of time on snowy/icy roads. 2-door might be easier to fit larger rear flares but then you lose the utility of 4-doors.

Don't forget, you can easily swap a Ford 8.8 into the Cherokee so the 8.25 rear end isn't a necessity (ie: don't avoid a D35-equipped Cherokee if you find a screamin' deal on one).

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
565 Posts
87 up with the 4.0L came with the aw4 tranny. Reliable tranny.

You can still also find D44's kicking around to swap in from 87-89 Cherokees or a Comanchee. They run around $500 @ Gary's or at least that's what I paid.

Are 8 1/4 rears c-clipped?

------------------
Dave

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
91+ are High Output, which gives you the Chrysler fuel injection and better cooling.

Look for one with a factory trailer tow package. This should give you a second fan, larger rad, and heavy duty rear axle.

The 8 1/4 is C-clip, but strong enough that breakage is rarely a problem. The only down side of it is that it takes forever for new lockers to become available for it.

The Auto tranny is great.

Look for cracks on the pillars and control arm mounts, and look for signs of sagging doors.

97s made in 96 often had assembly problems.

97+ XJs have a stiffer uni-body.

The 242 t-case gives you the full-time 4wd option, but it also hangs down slightly farther. It also uses a stronger chain, which is a big plus.

With big lifts on XJs it is important to make the suspension do the work and transfer as little twisting to the uni-frame as possible. Jointed control arms are a must, and reinforcing the front control arm brackets is highly recommended.

Plan on a SYE kit. You can sometimes get away without one even with a 4.5" lift, but often you need one with a 3" lift, so best to budget for one.

The factory option front skid and gas skid are among the best you can get. The factory t-case skid is a joke.

Tow hooks are expensive because they require an entire little frame assembly to bolt to.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the info guys really really appreciated.

I should at least look prepared when I go to the dealership for my trade in and soon to be purchase.

What year did the 242 come in. sorry for so many questions guys but I wanna do it semi right the first time

Jason

------------------
1990 YJ. Lots O'Fun
[email protected]

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by IBJeepin2:
What year did the 242 come in. sorry for so many questions guys but I wanna do it semi right the first time

I know for sure they had 'em from '88 onwards, don't know about '84-'87.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts