BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember some time ago that someone advised that the rear shackles off of early 90's 1/2 ton Chevys fit XJ's and give a bit of lift?

Can anyone verify this and if so, how much lift is achieved?

Dave.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any 4x4 chev full size shackles fit 1.5" of lift a little grinding is necessary to fit them in. will give more flex I've had em for 4 months and they work great. Paid 35 bucks.

------------------
I aint no stinking monkey!
'88 XJ 6 banger 2 dr. 6" lift 32's Rusty's tow hooks(bent) Electric fan S.Y.E.
Homemade B.P.E. K&N Air Filter

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by St. Pete:
Any 4x4 chev full size shackles fit 1.5" of lift a little grinding is necessary to fit them in. will give more flex I've had em for 4 months and they work great. Paid 35 bucks.

Cool, thanks for the info. 1.5" might be a little much for me though. I think I need about1" max for a little more room for 32's. I assume that they are 3" longer than the stock shackles for an XJ?

BTW, for the poster above, an MJ is the Jeep pickup similar to Cherokees.

Dave.

·
Registered
4 Posts
no they are only an inch or so longer but yes they add 1.5 inches or more lift. you could just add a 1 " block for cost u about 60 or 70 bucks. U will probably need new u bolts.

------------------
I aint no stinking monkey!
'88 XJ 6 banger 2 dr. 6" lift 32's Rusty's tow hooks(bent) Electric fan S.Y.E.
Homemade B.P.E. K&N Air Filter

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by St. Pete:
no they are only an inch or so longer but yes they add 1.5 inches or more lift. you could just add a 1 " block for cost u about 60 or 70 bucks. U will probably need new u bolts.

O.K., now you've got me confused. How can a 1" longer shackle give 1 1/2" more lift? I always thought that for every 1" in additional shackle length, that 1/2" lift was gained?????

·
Registered
102 Posts
You're right bud...1" longer will not yield 1.5" lift.

I think some of these folks have the metric system screwing them up.

Use a MJ or Chevy fullsize shackle and it'll round out a lift nicely. Combine these with a 1 or 1.5" lift block and 2" spacer up front...throw on some 31's and wheel it. Do what works for you. You sound pretty smart so go with it.

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by nikon_jeeper:
You're right bud...1" longer will not yield 1.5" lift.

I think some of these folks have the metric system screwing them up.

Use a MJ or Chevy fullsize shackle and it'll round out a lift nicely. Combine these with a 1 or 1.5" lift block and 2" spacer up front...throw on some 31's and wheel it. Do what works for you. You sound pretty smart so go with it.

Well, sounding smart is better than nothing!
Seriously, my XJ is already a little bit modified - 4" lift, detroit in the rear, no sway bars, a fair amount of rock rash (for a daily driver), including a custom door compliments of 'the rock' at Starvation lake, and just put 32's on it from 31's. The 32's fit fine but there isn't too much room for upward movement, particularly in th front when the wheels are turned. I'm hoping that one more inch won't start vibration or wonky steering, andthen maybe I'll do a little trimming if necessary!

Thanks for the info guys, and any other XJ chat is welcome.

Dave.

·
Registered
428 Posts
ANY other XJ chat is welcome?...O.K. My XJ RULES!!! (Even though I haven't even wheeled it since buying it two weeks ago) Seriously though, I think an inch will do it for ya. What about a block? have you considered it? Tomken didn't use a block for your kit did they? Ciao Bella
...Me

------------------
1990 4 Runner...tall, tippy, and purple.
1987 XJ ...shorter, stable, and Green
"going around is NOT an option!"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Flex:
ANY other XJ chat is welcome?...O.K. My XJ RULES!!! (Even though I haven't even wheeled it since buying it two weeks ago) Seriously though, I think an inch will do it for ya. What about a block? have you considered it? Tomken didn't use a block for your kit did they? Ciao Bella
...Me

Well, I suppose from you too
I could use a block I guess, but I figured a little longer shackle would give a little more travel I guess. So, when are you going to wheel that thing anyway? I might get a free day in a couple weeks possibly. Did you check out those MT/R's for sale?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, they sound sweet, but my XJ is going in on wednesday to loose the lockright and replace it with a Detroit locker. PLUS a new track bar, rod ends, and bushings!...OUCH!!

------------------
1990 4 Runner...tall, tippy, and purple.
1987 XJ ...shorter, stable, and Green
"going around is NOT an option!"

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If you've got 4" lift springs already then longer shackles is the way to go.
Like someone said, figure 1" of lift for every 2" longer in the shackle.
2" to 3" longer than stock is nice for a 4" lift spring, since the longer shackle gives the spring it's full range of motion without "s"ing.

If you get vibes just re-design the t-case cross member and lower the case a bit. It's easy to build a new crossmember that lowers the t-case without giving up much ground clearance, and you can build it super-stout while you're at it.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

[This message has been edited by Chris S (edited January 06, 2002).]

·
Registered
565 Posts
I would personally stay away from the blocks. Soft springs and blocks don't work too well. I put 1.5" blocks in with 3"longer (1.5" lift) shackles and 3" leafs. Can you say traction hop and bent springs. The hop is so bad I can destroy u-joints at will.

------------------
Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jackpine: did you get those Chevy rear shackles in? how much work was needed to put them in? I am think about doing the same and going with bigger tires but I already have a 3 inch lift.

Where can you pick up the shackles and how much were they? What did you do to lift the fronts? (spacer? Cost?)

thanks

------------------
86 XJ, Procomp 3 inch lift w/ 31s and STUFF......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.