BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, just spent about 12 hours swapping axles in my buddies CJ. His old axle is out of a 78 and the replacement from Nigel on the Island is from a 78 aswell...But they have two different diff covers, the old one has ten bolts in ovalish pattern the replacement has 12 bolts in circle pattern...also the hole in the spring perches with 0.10" smaller on the replacement. the old diff has similar axles to a clip style diff where as the replacement has a dust cover sticking out past the surface where the wheels mount to..which axle is which.

Your input is well appreciated, as all this Jeep stuff is "greek" talk to me!

------------------
Shopping List...
NP203, 15"x7-8" 5x5.5" wheels!

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
The only two axles I can think of his CJ having are the Dana 44 (has an angular shape, not really oval) and the AMC Model 20 (perfectly circular). The 20 comes with two-piece axle shafts (the flange is bolted to the shaft) which are a frequent source of breakage. The bolt that holds the flange on must be really, really, really tightened on or better yet, replaced with aftermarket one-piece shafts. Adding more weld between the tube and diff is also recommended since the AMC 20s are also known have the tubes rotating in the housing. Having said that, they do have pretty big ring gears.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/d44.html

I know for sure that it uses 11"x2" brakes, the diff cover is of a Dana origin, but I am still not convinced that it is a 44. I will have to go and measure the ring gear diameter to see if it is 8.5" I guess. Does anyone know how much side gears will be for this and where to get them. Maybe I should pull an axle shaft and count the splines as many different styles were issued in Jeeps.

Several variations of the Dana 44 have been used as the rear axle in Jeeps, all of them use a 8.5" ring and pinion. The Dana 44s with the two piece shafts are 19 spline or 27 spline and the versions wih the once piece shafts are 30 spline.

We know it doesn't have an offset housing...

Starting in 1972, the Dana 20 transfer case was used which has the rear output shaft centered, so the rear axle has the differential in the center. From 1972-1975 the Dana 44 was used with a 30 spline flanged axle shaft. This Dana 44 uses 11" drum brakes and the most common ratio is 3.73.

So that makes more sense...

After '76, the AMC 20 was the the only axle used in CJs with two exceptions. Some CJ-7s with the Borg-Warner Quadra-Trac transfer case came with a 30 spline, one piece shaft, offset, narrow track Dana 44. The other exception is in 1986, when CJ production was coming to a close AMC 20s were in short supply, so they used wide track Dana 44s in some of the '86 models. Bolt on compatible with any '76-'86 CJ, but wider than earlier narrow tack AMC 20s. Use of the Dana 44 in 1986 began somewhere between serial numbers ending with 049379 and 054173. The axles were flanged and 30 spline.

But the axle we hauled out was supposed to be from a 78, and no axle tags are present on the differential, so what are the tell tail signs...?

------------------
Shopping List...
NP203, 15"x7-8" 5x5.5" wheels!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts