BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I'm trying to restore a 1985 CJ7, and plan on replacing the old, rusted-out tub with a newer YJ tub. Can anyone give me some tips on how to do so? My main concern is will the body mounts line-up alright or will I need to modify them? If so what is the best way to go about modifying them?
I'm open to any advice anyone might have -Please e-mail me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think Jon Bruce (jeeponrock) is doing this now, as he madly rushes to finish getting his CJ ready for IRC this May.

I'm pretty sure that most of the bolts line up, but that two or four of them don't. You could either cut off and reweld the bolt brackets on the frame, or make up some adapter plates out of steel bar. Spend some time hunting for writeups on the net - this has been done hundreds of times.

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Originally posted by cwate:

I think Jon Bruce (jeeponrock) is doing this now, as he madly rushes to finish getting his CJ ready for IRC this May.
Nope. I'm using a CJ tub that was in better shape than mine.

Chris and Larry are right about the body mounts though. There are a couple that need to be moved. You'll also need to rework the defrost in the windshield frame, deal with the gas filler being on the wrong side, and differences in the firewall like the clutch linkage and battery tray mounts. It's not exactly plug 'n' play but the tub swap is pretty straight forward.

As was metioned before, there are lots of write ups on the web. Al V. has a pretty good writeup on his Canadian 4wd website too.

http://www.can4x4.com/articles/tubswap.html

------------------
Jon B.
'82 CJ7 Some mods (Hers)
'82 CJ7 More mods (His)
'02 Chev 3500 LT D/A

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been there don that an I used the write up from the can4x4 as well as talked and got help from soom freinds it was not too bad ... but the article helped alot. If you have the money I think Craig at Jeep thrills can prep a YJ tub for you.

------------------
It's all good

1 - 5 of 5 Posts