BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '78CJ and a YJ tub, the frame may be tweaked (it appears to bow up a little at the rear of the drivers side spring, maybe 3/8", not sure if I should be concerned about this as the frame is solid it drove fine and wasn't dog tracking) so I'm thinking about using a YJ frame as they are cheaper and easier to find.

I'm just trying to think of the problems I'll run into due to the wider frame. I'm not concerned with bumpers as I haven't made them yet. I hear the YJ frames are stronger and I'm thinking it may leave a little more room to run dual exhaust between the t/c and frame.

1. front/rear ends, swap to scout 44's as my narrow track dana44 has a detroit that I can swap over.
2. swap to YJ skidplate?
3. modify my advance adapter 350 motor mounts.
4. steering box and shaft?
5. gas tank, will my CJ tank bolt in.
6. emergency brake cables?
7. warn winch mounting plate too narrow?

Anyone think of other problem that might come up?

Thanks, Ken

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
I think the motor may be mounted slightly offset to the right side to allow extra clearance for the left side transfer case drop. You may way to stick with the CJ motor offset since you'll be running with a right side transfer case drop.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
397 Posts
Easiest thing to do would be to basically build a YJ with a CJ tub, hood, and fenders.

You'll save yourself a lot of trouble if you use the YJ skidplate, gas tank, fuel lines, parking brake stuff, and steering.

Downside is that the YJ motor mounts and shock mounts are welded onto the frame, not bolted on like the CJ's. That means you'll be doing some cutting to get your AA 350 mounts to fit. Some Ford shock mounts would be a good addition up front, as well...

Your winch mounting plate can probably be modified to fit without too much trouble.

The pics in this writeup might be of some help:
http://www.bc4x4.com/chrisw/projects/frameswap/frame.asp

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

1 - 3 of 3 Posts