BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im building a cj2, I want to put a diesel in it, It is going to be used as a general purpose trail rig, for every thing from mud to rocks. Its only going to be pushing 35's, I was wondering if anyone has any input on which diesel engines might be a good candidate. The only engines im familiar with are the vw, the cummins 4bt, toyotaB and 3B. Im hoping some of you guys might be able to throw some ideas my way.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
looks like a pretty small truck, the 3b is a heavy beast so is the 4bt. would you swap the whole drivetrain with it? you want to end up with a 5spd or automatic? also look into the 1kz option, its probably the most expensive, but a light weight 4cyl diesel with plenty of power. a cummins b3.3 would be a good choice, or a 4bt with the right fuel pump on it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you are looking to make a stockish lightweight little jeep with 31's and stock axles I would go for a VW 1.9 diesel... not too heavy easy to hook up a manual tranny (toyota or suzuki) it also has a fairly high redline so keeping up with the factory low ratio axles will be easier.
If you are looking to build a modified trail rig with 38's and dana 60's then some of the choices already mentioned would work....
I would also throw in the Isuzu 4bd1 (from the GMC forward/isuzu npr) as a suitable substitute for the cummins 4bt
The engine I went with is a SD33t from an IH scout. (1980 only).
If I were looking for an engine today the Isuzu would be up there on my list, There is a pretty thorough build thread on pirate... there is also a good section on 4BT swaps website

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.