BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any advice for doing a front axle upgrade from a 27A to a 30 for a 66' CJ5? Also any advise on what to look for when hunting down the new axle?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would look for a Dana 30 with Disk's. My '76 Dana 30 had drums and swapping to GM calipers/backing plates from a '77 blazer with Scout rotors/hubs made a big difference in stopping power after driving though deep mud/water.

The disk brakes were an option in 76 and standard after. I believe the 77 - 78 are more desireable as they have a thicker rotor and stronger 6 bolt hubs.

There would be one advantage to getting a dana30/44 set from a 72-75 CJ as they came with 3.73's and flanged axles on the rear. It is relatively cheap to convert to disk's if you go the GM route as I did.

I have a narrow track Dana 30 front and AMC 20 with 3.54's out of a 78 CJ that I will be selling but I'm over on Vancouver Island so that's probably out of the question.

Check out the links below for more info,
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/axle/d30.html
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/convaxle/d30.html

Ken

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the widths of the axles from your 78? Are their disc brakes on the front? How are they mechanically? How Much?

·
Registered
47 Posts
They are the narrow track, around 53". They drive fine, no noise from the gears. $400 obo for the pair.
I also have a dana20 t/c which has centered rear output, if your jeep has the Dana 18 t/c your rearend probably has the pumpkin on the passenger side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Topdog
Be aware of the spring pad width changes after 1975 You may want to bee prepared to cut and remount the perches from anything post 76. I am not sure if 72-75 is the same width as yours. I believe the pumpkin is on the same side on all D30 from Jeeps. Good news is if you find the 72-75 D30 just grab the discs from a disc equipped 30. Take them off with the knuckles as an assembly. I don't think the early knuckles have mounts for the calipers.

Remember 72-75 D30's came with 11 inch brake drums, better than your 27 setup if you don't want the extra expense

Happy shopping

------------------
75 CJ5, Flintstone floorboards,dents, lumberwagon suspension, 31 muds, Warn 8000. In otherwords...Stock

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.