BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Heard that they (Govt.)are going to start auto emissions testing soon here in Ontario.
I understand that BC has been doing this for a while, any suggestions on what HAS to be replaced, cleaned or other to pass?
I would assume all vacuum system/canisters etc...

Any hepl, hints on passing appreciated.

Cheers,
Ashley

------------------
89 YJ built tough, NOT pretty
02 Liberty
57 Chev pickup streetrod

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ah, Aircare...

Best thing to do is check what the rules are going to be in your area, then go from there.

Here in Vancouver, they do a visual check for catalytic converter (if your vehicle came with one), they do a gas cap presure test, a brief underhood check (for the factory emissions components), and a tailpipe test.

Recently the rules changed such that all vehicles have to do a driving and idle emissions test, which makes it a bit tougher.

We've had Aircare for enough years that these days the inspectors often aren't as vigilant as they used to be. I have yet to be asked anything about the Mustang 5.0L in my Jeep...

Tips for passing the test:
- get all the factory emissions gear (EGR, charcoal canister, catalytic converter etc) in place so you pass the visual.
- put some methanol-blend or high-octane gas in the tank and/or a bottle of octane enhancer, so you're running cleaner.
- get a tune-up, so your YJ's carb is adjusted right, as well as the timing, plugs, wires, etc. An oil change can make a big difference as well. You might want to do this step if you fail, before going in for another try.

Oh, and I'd also suggest going in early for the test, so that you've got time to deal with repair work & retesting if you fail...

Good luck,
Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris,

Thanks for the advice, just replaced the cat last summer and everything else is tuned and WELL taken care of.
Not sure WHEN they are starting it here, just wanted to be ready.

Cheers,
Ashley

------------------
89 YJ built tough, NOT pretty
02 Liberty
57 Chev pickup streetrod

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Our aircare stations have gotten pretty slack lateley.
The last four times I've gone in they havent even opened the hood.

As long as your engine is tuned properly it will pass fine even if the emmissions equipment is missing.

In reality you'll have to wait till your inspection facilities start operating to see how they do it, they might do visuals where ours no longer do them.

When our system first came in they did an underhood inspection and asked if it was the original engine.
Ten years later they don't care that the computer says my truck has a 390 and it only has a 302.
Now we have a dyno to roll on. I swore my Jeep was gonna jump off, hee hee, they'll automatically adjust for wheelbase but they can't help it when the wheelbase is different one side to the other.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
dan: thats cause they dont check underhood anymore

cwate: they wont say anything about the 5.0 because it dosn't matter what engine you have, BC is not California, we can pretty mucn any swap we want. although I have heard somthing about a horsepower limet once but that was with a bunch of us bench racing.

------------------
the pages of my life, http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/edges

·
Registered
397 Posts
crazyguy -

I don't think so, dude. Before I picked the engine, I called Aircare's information line and asked about this. They may not be checking like they should, but there's still rules in BC about engine swaps. Nothing like the California system, but:

1) The engine has to be the same age or newer as your vehicle,
2) The donor vehicle has to be the same weight class or lighter than your vehicle.
2) You have to keep all the donor's emissions parts.

Of course, since they're not checking for any of this then you could probably do whatever the hell you want. Still, I'd hate to get caught with my pants down if I happened to get an inspector who was having a really bad day...

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts