BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
I tried to get up last Saturday (1 week + 1 day ago). Snow was about 1.5' deep, and it was the heavy type. I made it farther than any other previous tracks except for an atv that made it another 25 feet or so. I had 32" MT's aired down, locked front and rear and only made it into the clear creek FSR a few km. I suspect to make it all the way you would need a larger/wider tire and perhaps chains. Gonna try again in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
a friend of mine in his mid 80's toy pickup on 40s and a few other guys tried on Saturday and couldn't make it all the way up. They said there was a bit more than a foot of snow, but the heavy, slushy kind and they couldn't make it up some of the steeper sections. The slightest tire slip turned it to ice underneath so it was a no-go.

They said with chains it wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've often wondered what chains front and rear would do in that situation... Some say it's like cheating, others say that with chains on all 4 corners, that when you get stuck, you're fucked.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've often wondered what chains front and rear would do in that situation... Some say it's like cheating, others say that with chains on all 4 corners, that when you get stuck, you're fucked.
probably pretty hard to get "stuck" uphill ... not to mention if you've got other trucks with you. The trouble with this spring-type snow is that it's very mushy and one-two tire turns in the same spot is enough to turn it to ice under your tire due to friction and pressure. Chains on all four would probably churn that ice pretty good and keep you moving as long as you got the clearance :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I attempted last saturday (26thMarch) - and made it about 4-5km on Clear Creek FSR before hitting an icy lump which i couldnt get over! Snow was very Icy/slushy - Didnt have chains, but i plan to get some tomorrow and try again!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
nice rubicon!
Is it all stock? You sure you have the clearance to run chains ... there's very little room between my tires and rear spring perches in the rear of the TJ (but maybe your rubicon wheels have different backspacing or something)
What kind of lights are those up front?

·
Registered
35 Posts
fish4life: Thanks, yeah its all stock - I didnt end up getting any chains... so didnt look behind the back wheel... - lights up front --factory fitted I think - I dont know much about this one as I just bought the thing!

Clear Creek Up-date! Managed to get within 1.2km of the springs - and met a few other peeps along the way - we got to the big hill before the creek before deciding to turn around (if i had a winch and a bit of lift i would have soldiered on for sure!) - So my prediction is that next weekend should be easy to get up there in a 4x4 --- Although i might pass as its gonna be packed with sweaty bodys!

Sorry for lack of pics - My gf did a good job taking 40+ pictures of the route - but the app on the cellphone decided to loose them on the way home :(

·
Registered
184 Posts
Was up for a day trip on April 21 2011. Last minute, new truck.
Did not have my hopes up thinking the snow level would be way down.
Old Lester didn't encourage us any over tea. He said we would never make it as he had snow at his place on the lake day before.
Main road was potholed as per usual, several logging trucks outbound.
The road after the turn off, the last 12 klm was in usual O.K. shape. Hit snow in the last 2 klm before hotspring.
Worst part was at the last creek crossing, the steep decent into creek and back out of the creek was snow covered.
Definite 4x4 recommended for the next couple weeks.
Mix of rain and snow falling as we soaked.
Whole area, campgrounds and tubs are a mess. Shotgun shells, bottles, cans, dishwasher, burnt table, roofing material again...!!!
2 quads at hotspring upon arrival soon left, one more quad as we soaked didn't stay.
Only one of the wooden tubs is holding water(Upper tub), that tub only has one seat left in it.
Lower wooden tub was not holding water and required all hoses that had water running(2) to maintain a decent level of water.
Running both working hoses into the upper tub made that tub really hot.

This report being made first day of a long weekend. Came across a couple people heading up as I came down the road.
I think the mess is going to be worse by the weekends finish.
Sorry no real pictures forgot camera, it was a last minute trip...
Couple of cell phone pics., not sure how to add them here yet.

Running a bone stock F-150, 4x4

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
that's terrible to hear. Is there lots of snow on the ground at the tubs? When we camped up there in December (weekend before Xmas i think) it was nice. Perhaps all the snow we had covered the mess, but even the tubs didn't seem too bad :S ....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Very little snow at the hotsprings, all the campsites were bare of snow. Some snow at the parking area up at the path to the tubs. That's where the most mess was, burnt table,glass, etc. The nice campsite was littered with shotgun shells, bottles etc... Sections that had any shade at all during the day still had some snow. No fibreglass tubs being used for some reason, that bathtub was full of glass, underwear and rust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clear Creek is back and running, I was just up there, we fixed up and had all 3 hot tubs going! the water coming out was really hot, like 110, so we have a cold flow going as well. We also packed out all the empties and garbage there. so do the same! enjoy :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
good job yellow

dont know if its needed but I have a roll of 1.5 inch black plastic pipe probably 30 feet or more of it if somebody would like to use it to fix up the tubs
i would take it up myself but dont plan on heading up that way anytime soon.

Ryan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.