BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 78 j-10, only probs i have with it are... there is a serious clunk that occurs when the steering wheel is turn hard under little gas on corners.... quadratrac isnt working at all (emergency lock) where do i get new vacuum lines? and with the rad all flushed and new fluid in it overheats fairly easily. i have been told i probably need a new rad but is this the only fix? She also seems to starve on fuel going up semi steep hills, is this fuel pump? carb? or just normal for carb engines??? semi steep means like highway steep hills and she will totally die if i am gettin up a rock or something pretty steep. HELP :violin

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
clunk in the steering shaft, in the steering components on the axle, or possibly in the suspension. my steering clunk on my J-10 turned out to be left front leaf spring bushing is shot so it makes some weird clunks when I turn the wheels.

I dont know anything about quadratracs but id say just look underneath and look at a shop manual and figure out which lines you need to make sure are connected and replace them with new rubber vacuum line from any parts store(cambodian tire, lordco, napa, etc).

as for fuel starving, id start probally with changing the fuel filter(cheap and it probally needs to be done anyway). how long was it parked before you bought it? if it sat awhile the carb is probally gummed up, try some carb cleaner down the carb itself and some fuel system cleaner in the fuel(takes a bit to work itself through the system though). checking the fuel flow should be done and next would be rebuilding the carb. and no its not normal, for carbed engines to die on hills on the highway, I can run mine idle its way up some pretty steep stuff in 4low

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did the carb cleaner already, but will do fuel filter soon, thanks for the advice. it has sat for a long... time as it has hornets nests and stuff inside that i have found:angry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.