BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have this re-occuring problem on my pickup, 22R,5spd,1pce rear d.shaft. About a year ago I had the same problem, lots of clutch chatter after about a half hour of driving. I replaced the clutch, machined the flywheel and put in a new rear main seal(was leaking a bit). It was good for a few months then it started to happen again. I do have some oil coming down the back of the engine and coming out at the bottom of the tranny. Anyone have any sugestions? Is the oil leak the cause? If I fixed the leak would I have to replace the clutch again? The tranny mount looks fine, but could it be that instead? I'm getting tired of pulling the tranny out once a year or less. Anyone had anything similar? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yup sounds like the rear main seal has leaked on your clutch again it's could be your crank shaft causeing your seals to go due too much play. My rear main has been leaking for the last two years on my V-6 it hasn't bothered me to much when shifting.

------------------
Treading Heavily

·
1,269 Posts
Did you change the throwout bearing any of these times?

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replaced bearing both times. I think it might be leaking from around the piece that holds the rear main in. Should I replace the clutch again while I'm in there or do you think I can just leave it. I'm guessing the disc is contaminated with oil, which might cause a problem later?

·
1,269 Posts
You'd notice oil on the clutch disk pretty quick. If you take your tranny out so much buying one of those plates with the chains for your jack is great idea, they cut down on the strongarming under the truck and speed everything up.

------------------

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, should I replace the clutch while I'm in there fixing the leak? Clutch is only 1 year old.

·
1,269 Posts
If the clutch is still good then there's not much of a point replacing it. Clean the oil off and back in she goes!

------------------

·
1,269 Posts
I was thinking about this today and I remembered that I had some chatter going on pretty good after we put a centerforce in my truck in the mornings when I'd start it it would sing to me for about 10 - 20 seconds then go away, but it stopped doing it after a week or two.

------------------

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Do the rear main again if it's leaking.
Possibly it was installed less than perfect and it now leaks.
Check your crank for grooves also.
Sometimes if its a tight fit a little silicone helps ease the new seal in place without distortion. Always smear some grease on the inside to keep the spring in place.
I'd replace the clutch only because it's coming out anyway and oil soaked clutches can cause much cursing in the future.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I pulled the tranny today, and the clutch and flywheel looked dry and free from oil. The rear main didn't look like it had been leaking. I think the back of the head gasket is leaking a bit. Oil is leaking down the front of the shield that goes on before the flywheel(cant remember the name). Could that oil be blowing back and hitting the clutch? there was oil in the bell housing as well. Any sugestions for me?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Did you get the pressure plate resufaced??
If the clutch plate is glazed you might need a new disc and get both flywheel and pressure plate resurfaced.
Make sure you have enough free play in the throwout bearing.
Not enough will cause the clutch to slip again, glazing the surface .

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
last time I replaced the clutch I replaced the presure plate and machined the flywheel. I'm not sure of what you mean by "enough free play in the throwout bearing". Is there an adjustment with the clutch fork? It has been harder to shift lately. Thanks for your help. Anymore thoughts or ideas would be great.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yes , you have to adjust fork end play or free play.
If it's not adjusted and its on the tight side the release bearing will always be pushing on the pressure plate forks.
This will cause the clutch to slip slightly and slowly "glaze" it over.
Then it may slip, chatter ect.

------------------

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How would I go about adjusting the fork free play? I dont think I have ever done this.
thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Greg, I only know of the adjustment on the pedal free play. My clutch engages when its almost on the floor.

is there any harm in sealing the top part of the shield that goes on before the flywheel? If I did that maybe it would stop some of the oil from coming down and onto the clutch?
Any thoughts on that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts