BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes a decent coil over shock other then edelbrock. My cost on the edelbrock is 253.00 a shock. OUCH, who else makes a decent one.

Jason

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000

·
Registered
391 Posts
Skyjacker just intoduced a new one the "skyking", also Bilstine, Fox and King shocks make them, but none of them are cheap.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Planning to go with coils on the YJ?

Coilovers have advantages with the simplicity of one mount for both coil and shocks, but they are expensive, and a simple coil and shock setup can perform just as well.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am tossing the idea around, not sure yet. I may look at running dual shocks in the front only. 2 different shocks 1 my rancho 5000. 2nd a shock that has a lot of spring so that should hopfully equal out the ride and help by forcing the one tire down on the trail. ????????

Jason

------------------
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
With only 2.5" of lift is that really a problem? Normally when you stuff one tire the leverage against the bump-stop forces the other tire down and gives you traction.

------------------
Chris S.
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my bumpstops were never extended yet and I will be doing this with my soa in a month or 2.

Jason

------------------
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000

·
1,269 Posts
Not to speak for Jason but I'd wager a guess he's looking to eliminate the body lift. You don't see too many people with running coilovers for just 2.5" of lift.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are right Big Bad Pete, I am indeed going to be getting rid of that horrid thing. I am looking at getting a better ride and better off road performance. So maybe the dual shock idea will work. I may try it to see what happens.

Jason

------------------
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
One problem with dual shocks is that it can be hard to get soft enough valving for such a light vehicle. Two normal shocks will result in the sum of the two being way too stiff.

------------------
Chris S.
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by jason-ramsey:
I am tossing the idea around, not sure yet. I may look at running dual shocks in the front only. 2 different shocks 1 my rancho 5000. 2nd a shock that has a lot of spring so that should hopfully equal out the ride and help by forcing the one tire down on the trail. ????????
I don't think that's something you need to strive to achieve since the weight of your Jeep should be sufficient. Besides, if that's your goal, why not just use stiffer leaf springs? Won't it have the same effect? Kinda takes the interest out of it, eh? ;-)

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts