BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to probably trade my Toyota today for an 89 cherokee, what are the largest spacers and lift block I can run, I really want 4in lift, but the cost isn't feasible at this time. My Toy has 33's, and it looks pretty cool, so I figure if I can fit 30x9.50 MT/R's on an XJ I'll have something that looks just as cool. What kind of price should I expect to pay for the spacers aand blocks??? Any info would be a great help, thanks

------------------
1981 Short Box Toyota, 3in trailmaster body lift, brand new ES3000's and a single ES2000, marshal 33's, hooker header, K&N filter and a good old cb radio. Working on swapping for a Cherokee, it's time for a change in pace

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you only want to fit 30's on the XJ then go for 2" spacers up front...they don't have to be specific for the XJ...they're the same as TJ spacers.

In the rear you can do a combination 1" block and 1" lift shackle.

I wouldn't imagine that you'd pay any more than about $120 USD for that "budget boost (BB)" lift.

You'd actually be able to fit 31's under it with the 2" lift. You shouldn't run into problems with the BB lift like shocks being too short or brakeline issues. It works out quite nicely.

Make sure to take off the rear swaybar! It doesn't account for more than about 10-15% of the body roll anyhow. You probably won't even notice a difference.
With that said, I'll leave you to your devices and have fun with the "new" XJ.

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks again nikon, but I've heard of fender smashing with 31's and no extended bump stops, also, if there's a biggier lift, i should probably go for it, as with my Toy it went 2in body lift, to 3in body lift, to 4in susp lift, to 4in susp lift & 3in body lift, and thanks to a bad day and a 4ft jump back to 3in body lift accompanied by a bent up set of leafs and alot of steering damage. So maybe I should just start out as big as possible and work my way Down??

------------------
1981 Short Box Toyota, 3in trailmaster body lift, brand new ES3000's and a single ES2000, marshal 33's, hooker header, K&N filter and a good old cb radio. Working on swapping for a Cherokee, it's time for a change in pace

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
A buddy tried 31s on his 2" lift and had constant fender contact at the front and back of the fender openings. This could have been remedied with longer bump-stops, but he already had them extended 1".

1.5" to 2" is perfect for 30s. Go for 3" if you want 31s.

If the XJ you are looking at is that old chances are the springs are already toast, and throwing a lift block on them is just going to make things worse.
If you've got the budget I would strongly recommend a 3" lift with all new springs. They run around $400.00 US. Get rear bump-stops from a Comanche pickup, extend the front bump-stops 1.5", and you're ready for 31s.

Then when you want to go bigger add a 1" shackle and a 1" coil spacer, break out the sawz-all and install larger flares and you can fit 33s.
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/imgFlares/flare09.jpg

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
102 Posts
Actually, screw the advice and try what works for you.

Some say that 30's work with no lift and others say that you can't fit 33's without lifting the damn thing 18" and running a CJ frame underneath....

What worked for ME was to run the 30's with NO lift for the time being and eventually went to the BB 2" lift. I know people who ran 31's with NO lift and had very little rubbing. I personally had NONE at all. On the other hand I know people with 3-4" lift and 30's who rub all the time. I also don't believe in bumpstops...so just take that for what it's worth.

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff

·
Registered
418 Posts
very cool choice! I've got a '90 cherokee with an explorer pro-comp 3" lift.I run 30x9.50 bfg mudders with no problems at all.the add-a-leaf was crap so i ended up dropping $350 at canada spring, worth it.don't try to gain more than 1.5" of lift in the front using spacers without extended lower arms.if you go for blocks in the back make sure to use machined steel ones, there harder to find but are much more reliable than cast aluminum.having a block split and disintergrate 35kms from pavement is no fun as the sun is setting!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Originally posted by nikon_jeeper:
...I also don't believe in bumpstops...

I have to stick my $0.02 in here for others reading this.
If you just throw parts at a Jeep and hope it works then chances are it won't work to it's full potential. The entire suspension has to work as a "system" of parts.
One of those parts is proper bump-stops. The purpose of the bump-stop is to limit upward wheel travel. If the bump-stop is not doing this then something else is. Sometimes it's the shocks, which sooner or later will destroy them and/or break the mounts. Sometimes it's the fenders, which will get trashed or cut your tires. Sometimes it's the suspension binding, which will tear control arm mounts and crack control arms. Sometimes its the oil pan (no explaination needed). Sure you can get away with it for a while, and some lucky people can get away with it for years, but it's not the RIGHT way to build a suspension, especially if you are going to use it hard off-road.
The other function of bump-stops is that when one side compresses the bump-stop acts as a pivot point and forces the other side down, increasing the downward force on the drooped tire and increasing your traction.

Mudhucker:
If you want to learn everything about your new XJ read this: http://members.aol.com/Stvns/XJhelp1.html

------------------
Chris S.
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
102 Posts
Once again, I REITERATE.......my OPINION!

Actually, screw the advice and try what works for you.
I'll take my own advice on this. Thanks for your opinion again, Chris. Please next time quote the entire phrase and not the "out of context" portion...I said to take it for what it was worth.

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Originally posted by nikon_jeeper:
... Chris. Please next time quote the entire phrase and not the "out of context" portion...I said to take it for what it was worth.
There was no intent for me to take your words out of context, since I figured anyone who had read my post would have also read yours. It wasn't burried far away or anything.
I also tried to indicate with my first line that I was posting information for others, not "arguing" with you. If it wasn't a thread about a new guy just starting to build an XJ I wouldn't have even commented.

------------------
Chris S.
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
102 Posts
So then there's no reason to quote me if it was your opinion, right?

*shrugs*

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts