BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, about 5 degrees F, my 79 20R starter did not click or turn over. I hit it a few times with a rubber mallet, and after a couple more turns of the key it did snap and turn over and start the engine.

Before it started, I measured about 12V at the cold battery. Once running and warmed up, it measured close to 14V.

The battery is 6.66 years old. The starter motor, as far as I know, is orginal.

Battery terminals are clean and solid.

From the sound of it, when the truck did not start I did not hear the solenoid snap into closed-circuit position. Several on-off turns of the key - plus maybe the rubber mallet on the starter - did finally result in the starter turning over the engine.

What should I do/check/repair/replace?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like the contacts. While you have the solenoid and starter off, have a boo at the starter too (check teeth for wear, you can test it too-bendix etc.,). If it's been in there a long time you might be just as well off replacing the whole thing.

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

[This message has been edited by Lil' blue Yoyo (edited March 04, 2002).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys, for the info above. I see the Toyota part was $11, but it's also available for $3. Just what do I ask for: starter solenoid contacts? Do I also need new seals, or can they be improvised with RTV or the like?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ask for Wilson 45-29-6521 includes both starter contacts, cost me $6.28 yesterday for two sets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts