BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a 98 Cherokee, and I loved it. It was however a lease, and now I'm without a jeep.
I was thinking of getting one of the old commanche pick ups, but I don't know a lot about them.

They abviously seem to be based on the cherokee platform, but are the drivetrain and running gear the same stuff, or was there any inferior stuff thrown in?

Are they as dependable as a cherokee of the same year, or there serious differences in quality reliablity etc?

Anything in particular I should avoid, or any major problems they are known for?

I'm only looking at the I6, not interested in the 4cyl.

Thanks for any info.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Stewed:
They abviously seem to be based on the cherokee platform, but are the drivetrain and running gear the same stuff, or was there any inferior stuff thrown in?
Are they as dependable as a cherokee of the same year, or there serious differences in quality reliablity etc?
Anything in particular I should avoid, or any major problems they are known for?
You can build them up just like a Cherokee. The only difference is the rear suspension. The Cherokee is spring-over while the Comanche is spring-under. Axles, transmission, transfer case are all the same. But you can't get a Comanche with the SelecTrac transfer case, AFAIK, so no full-time 4wd option.

The Comanche has stronger control arm mounts on the frame.

Ryeguy has a write-up of his Comanche which is the most built-up one I've ever seen: http://www.bc4x4.com/ryeguy/truck/comanche.asp#rear_suspension

The Comanche served him very well over the years.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
219 Posts
The Commanche does have a longer over hang in the rear than a Cherokee which can lead to tail dragging. If you have the skills a 'shortened' rear end would look great. Don't forget there always is the Commanche's with the factory dana 44 rear differentials (metric ton models. Commanches also came in 2wd models, the eliminator, which if bought at a good price could be upgraded to 4X4 status with factory parts.

Good hunting!

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Rob H:
Don't forget there always is the Commanche's with the factory dana 44 rear differentials (metric ton models.
I was going to mention that but couldn't recall if the 4x4 models had the metric tonne package available.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I won't be purchasing for at least a few months, the wife wants a new house 1st.

I did notice cruising www.buysell.com that there aren't many out there.

Rear overhang shouldn't be a major problem. I don't intend on doing any extreme offroad with it (that could always change of course), but I will lift it a few inches.

Thx again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nothing wrong with Comanches on the trail. Mine served me well, and never left me stranded. Still proud of that truck.

--Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts