BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at purchasing a 94-96 ram, probably a 1500 with the 318. I like the looks way more than a ford or chev, but was told they have reliability problems. Any common problems i should be aware of? What's the difference between 1500 and 2500? I know 1500 is a half tonne, and 2500 is 3/4. I may have to tow a bobcat once in a while, can a 1500 handle it? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Hows gas mileage?

·
Registered
544 Posts
DONT

------------------
90 Extra cab 4" sus. 3" body. 33" BFGs .Soon to be solid axle swaped with arbs and 36" super swampers.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you are buying this truck to tow............. Get the Cummins Diesel........ you will never be sorry that you did, far superior than any gas engine

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender/toyota
Soon to require a Mile -per - year speedometer http://www.ottindustries.com

·
Registered
144 Posts
CUMMINS CUMMINS CUMMINS
is the only way to go in a Ram.

Great Economy, engines go forever, pulling power, mean sounding engine like a real truck should. The straight 6 cummins 1500 will out pull a chev v8 faster than **** from a goose.

Gas sucks Ass
www.geocities.com/mrdieselpa/toyota-diesel.html

Just click on my link to the cummins site.

[This message has been edited by Mrdiesel (edited April 25, 2001).]

·
Registered
396 Posts
Make sure you get a transmission cooler if the truck you are looking at doesn't already have one. Trannys seem to be weak if you don't have the cooler.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I heard that the diesel doesn't come with
the stock Dodge tranny?

For GM the allison transmission seems to be pretty good too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most 1500 Rams come with dodge's 46RE transmission which many do have problems with. If you get a cooler and flush the tranny ever 30000 miles it should be fine. The 2500 and 3500's come with dodge's 47RE which is stronger and does not have the same problems as the 46RE. If you are gonna do any mods (lift with bigger tires) on the 1500 make sure you re-gear to 4.10 or 4.56 as the stock 3.55's will put a lot of stress on the tranny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts