BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the mistake of not getting the full-size spare option on my 99 Cherokee. I would now like to get a full size spare (225/75R15), but I'm not sure if the full-size spare will fit in the same spot the mini spare fits. It looks like it might be rather tight. I measured the tire and the space, and it's really too close to tell.

I checked with the dealer, who mentioned that they seem to remember some problem doing this in the past, but they couldn't remember why, or if they were ever able to get it to fit. Big help they are!

Has anyone else out there made the switch and got the full-size spare to fit in the same spot as the mini spare? Were any additional hardware or modifications needed? I'd like to know before I make the purchase.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think the main cocern is if the mounting stud is long enough to go through a wider tire, you may be able to get a longer stud from the stealership that will work. Just let them know it's for a full size spare. I'll just try it out and see if it'll fit before you worry too much about it. May be borrow a full size from another XJ.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
I switched to a full-size spare in my '88 XJ. No mods req'd.

If that helps. If you're running stock wheels, why don't you just try it yourself by leaving one corner of your Jeep on a jack?

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hey, If you're only putting in a 225/75/r15...don't buy one, I would suggest you put up a wanted post...

name the rim you want...I'm sure you will find someone trying to dump there spare off their TJ if they've gone bigger and it will be cheaper then buying a new tire with matching rim from the dealer

and if you're not worried about the rim style all the better you could buy something for dirt cheap...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.