BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if you can still acess the OLD Copper Mtn. mine town?
My dad grew up there as a kid in the 1930's and now he is getting into his 70's. The last time we were up there was about 25years ago and I think he would like to go back up.

Rob.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
xjtank said:
Anyone know if you can still acess the OLD Copper Mtn. mine town?
My dad grew up there as a kid in the 1930's and now he is getting into his 70's. The last time we were up there was about 25years ago and I think he would like to go back up.
We used to ride our motorcycles around there at the same time. Don't recall seeing much of it left after they re-opened the mining operation up there.

While you're up there, maybe you can explore the Allenby area with him, too. There are some remnants of the mining operation there. It's kind of on your way if you're coming from Princeton (as opposed to taking the road from Copper Crk).

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been a while since I've even drive past Princeton,,,, you saying that they are open pit mining the area of the old mine site???

My grandfather worked in that mine. He was the guy who had to climb up the chute when it got plugged and blow it free. I figure that's why he ended up as an alcoholic..........
Wish I could visit the old mine again.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Yeah, they started mining up there again and sending ore over the canyon and river via a convey system on a suspension bridge. The ore was processed at the mill that Hwy 3 runs past a few km before Princeton.

We used to hunt there when I was growing up but I remember that near the late '70's, we couldn't get to the old site anymore. It was gated off or something like that. Oh, actually, I think it was bulldozed. It's been a while so I can't recall the details. I just remember that we couldn't poke around the old cabins and stuff anymore.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts