BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a 79 diesel for sale nearby (2B engine, right?). Just curious what the specs are on these and what sort of mileage they get. ALso, with 4.11 gears, is this combo goign to be enough to pull 33's on teh highway (this'll be my DD). One other thing, are these relatively straightforward to work on and find parts for? Never had/worked on a diesel before

Or should I hold out for a 2F. From what I've seen on some spec sheets, they have more torque and more HP (given, they have 2 extra cylinders than the diesels). And how comfortable will I be running 33's on this setup? (4.11 gears or possibly 3.73 gears)

Also, a SOA gives at least 6 inches of lift right? What will that look like with 33's underneath? I guess you can put 35's in without any trouble so....

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
79 will be a "b" engine. The 3bs came in 80 or 81 I think. Desil will be fine for pushing 33s with the 4.11s. With the 35 thats a different story. My buddy has a 3B, (more power) 4.88s, on 35s and it feel like my cruiser has more power with a 2f and 4.11s on 36.

Go soa on 35s you should be fine. It would look silly on smal 33s

HTH Dan

·
Registered
147 Posts
Buy the Diesel, and we can trade running gear, I got 2f with offy manifold, carter 4bbl, and header....

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
It's getting very hard to find parts for the early diesels, if you want one hold out for the 3B, which is an exellent motor.
Even with a 3b, you will struggle with 33's and stock gearing, don't even think of 35's with stock gears.
My rebuilt 2F with mild mods has plenty of power with the 35's that I run, and I have 4.11's. I even tow a 2500lb trailer on vacation with this setup, no problem.
It comes down to what you want. I would love to have a BJ42, but really, it would not have enough power to meet my needs.
Even with a $3500 turbo on a 3B it won't make as much power as my mildly built 2F.
Eventually I will own a diesel cruiser though, for running back and forth to town, they do however get much better milage. A friend of mine has a turbo 3B in his BJ and gets about 20 mpg or so with 36's and 4.56 gears.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a 3b with 411's and 33's and it's not bad at all. However, I have a five speed in it, and it has a lower first gear than the old 4 speed did.
It was a bitch to get parts for the B diesel, but, it rarely needs them. one of the most reliable hunks of iron I've ever seen.
the 3b seems like a much torquier motor,(tho in fareness, the old b diesel I had was kinda sacked) 33's with the B would've sucked, but a fresh one might not be too bad. (you won't be winning any races tho)
yes the 33's look a little small on my cruiser, I have just about the lowest spring over possible.( less than 5 inches lift) but its not too bad. I would like to change the gears down a little, but I think I'll probably do the turbo instead. being able to cruise in relative quiet at 100kmh is pretty nice.
and I won't be doing the 3500 dollar turbo(tho I wish I could just lay down that much cash it aint gonna happen) so I'll be doing what a lot of people have done, and make up a home brew turbo. as long as you have good guages to monitor what s happening(egt, boost) you should be ok. but it takes a bit of interesting fab work.
but hey that's the fun eh?
cheers,
ryan

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys

Won't have to make the decision after all though for a little while yet, went after work to the lot they had the cruiser for sale and it was gone! Damn it!

Next time... guess I should sell teh 4runner first anyways :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I case you're wondering:

The B engine
Available in Japan from 1974 to 1980 (model years) in the BJ40 and BJ43, the B engine was available in Canada from 1978 to 1980 in the BJ40.

* displacement: 2977 cc
* injection: indirect
* horsepower: 80 at 3600 rpm
* torque: 141 ft-lbs at 2200 rpm
* valves: 8 ohv
* bore: 95 mm
* stroke: 105 mm
* compression ratio: 21:1
* compression pressure:
* normal: 30.0 kg/cm2 (427 psi) or more
* minimum: 20.0 kg/cm2 (284 psi)
* difference: 2.0 kg/cm2 (28 psi) or less

and the 3B
The most widely used engine from this series. It apparently came in at least three versions with slightly different stats. One difference is that until 1986, it came with an inline injection pump, and then after 1986 it had a rotary injection pump. In Japan the 3B was used from 1981 to 1990, but Canada stopped importing vehicles with this engine in 1987. The 3B is found in the BJ42, BJ43, BJ45, BJ60, BJ70, BJ73, and BJ75. This engine is a favourite to turbo because like most turbo engines, it has oil nozzles that spray the bottoms of the pistons.

* displacement: 3431 cc
* injection: indirect
* horsepower: 90, 93 or 98 at 3500 rpm
* torque: 159, 163, or 167 ft-lbs at 2200 rpm
* valves: 8 ohv
* bore: 102 mm
* stroke: 105 mm
* compression ratio: 20:1
* compression pressure:
* normal: 30.0 kg/cm2 (427 psi) or more
* minimum: 20.0 kg/cm2 (284 psi)
* difference: 2.0 kg/cm2 (28 psi) or less

there is a 2B, but it was never brought to Canada. Look here to see them all:
http://www.bitwalla.com/cruisers/info/engines.html

Cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
hey there

If your looking for a cruiser there is one for sale on Lakeshore dr. in kelowna...its a little past the "mall" on lakeshore....not sure how far...i live in vernon so i dont pay attetnion to kelowna names or streets...can find out on wednesday though.

But it needs probably a new frame or alot of welding,, and body work for sure...
It has a winch and tow bar on it...I think it has the 2f in it also....Its been sitting there forever...some old guy owns it and is trying to sell it for alot i think...dont know what the price was...I sold my cruiser a few months back in kelowna so i dont need any more parts...i had a 77 fj40 with a winch and 31's ....lots of power and loads of tourque....
check it out if your curious to see first hand ....remember it would need extensive frame ( look at the rear by the shackles) and body work..not to mention other work becasue its been sitting idle for so long...
or theres AQUALU in kelowna which builds and makes replacement parts for Cruisers..

If you or anyone else wants or needs a
-haynes manuel for 68-82 fj40 $10
-a new u-joint in box for fj40 $15
-and i have a set of chains also not sure what size ???

email [email protected]

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I checked out that cruiser the other day. It's banged up, rusty on both the body and the frame (rear spring hangers, as you said) and just generally in rough shape. Believe it was a 75 and he wanted 5000 for it... right.....

But thanks for the heads up!

I'll take that Haynes off of you next time you're in Kelowna assuming it's not missing any pages

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ill be there on wednesday afternoon and probably on the weekend again..and everyweekend after that so no rush..

Email me your number or give me a call at 542-1869 Ben...

Ill be around the mission area.

AND Whoa 5 grand for that one ....
Its worth 1g
and then the rest would go to the rebuild of it....

good hunting...ill post any i see for sale. for you..

BEn

·
Registered
363 Posts
saw a cruiser for sale at magna bay on the north shore of the shuswap on sunday. didnt stop to look at it, it was bone stock, right down to the hubcaps, and seemed reasonable condition.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey jeremy, if you're by there again, care to take a look at how much they're asking and what year? Hoping for something post-75. You coming up for the cleanup?

Ben, my number is 7690288 (home) or 878-1543(cell)

Give me a call when you get some spare time.

Later

1 - 12 of 12 Posts