BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone used a quarter eleptical however you spell it set up on the rear or front of their YJ? looking for input for front end possible setups maybe upgrading rear. anyone used the avalanche eng kit for the rear or front?

·
Registered
379 Posts
There is a guy in here who used the avalanche kit. Yep from bc4x4.com. He drives a CJ. He posts a lot of his projects in the wrenching section here. I forget where but his CJ is red. Try looking under High Pinion Dana 60 front Axle and go from there. Hope this helps. Im putting unimog axles under my YJ this year (bought my set yesterday) so if you want some concept ideas from me just give me a shout!! [email protected]

Happy Trails

Erik

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
JeepFreak is talking about Mike Knorr. Both Mike and I originally started with an Avalanche 1/4 elliptical kit in the rear of our CJs. Both of us have since modiifed the kits. I'm not sure what Avalanche sells now but the kits Mike and I bought could have been better engineered.

There are a few vehicles with front 1/4 elliptical setups but I don't think you should go that route unless you're prepared to make you vehicle a purpose built trail-only buggy. Steering will be your biggest problem. You'll end up having to go with a full hydro system in order to make it work with the flex you'll get.

Personally I think a standard leaf spring front works well enough but if you think you need more, I'd look at coilovers instead.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
jeeponrock said:

There are a few vehicles with front 1/4 elliptical setups but I don't think you should go that route unless you're prepared to make you vehicle a purpose built trail-only buggy. Steering will be your biggest problem. You'll end up having to go with a full hydro system in order to make it work with the flex you'll get.
That's an excellent point, Jon. Once you reach a certain amount of flex, your pitman arm / drag link connection is going to see a lot of strain due to the angle of operation. Also, the lateral movement of the pitman arm will translate into less steering movement as the angle of the drag link increases.

A fully hydraulic steering system handily addresses this issue...but it's far from street legal. And I don't think a hydraulic assist system would solve these issues, either.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys,
great info. i wondered about steering info on the 1/4 setup in the front. i've been gathering info for the unimog axle conversion so i think a 1/4 rear and setting up my buggy springs i already have on the jeep to work with the unimog axle will be the best of both worlds. i finished the rear frame so my wheel base is now 100 inches once i'm done with the front i hope for 108-110 wheel base with my crawler box setup.
how much was the 1/4 kit from avalanche eng kit and when you say you modified it what do you mean, i guess it is on that thread.
anyways thanks guys. anyone got any suggestions for the lengthing the front of the frame of my YJ?
thanks,
eric

·
Registered
397 Posts
Are you sure you need the extra length to fit a crawler box? I'm running one (NP203 range box) with a stock frame. The trick is to run a short engine (V6 or V8), short tranny (truck 4-speed), and move it all as far forwards as possible. With Mog axles, you'll have pretty flat driveshafts, so angles won't be an issue either...

Just a thought,
Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.