BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to fab a sealing flang for the rear of the TC. then cut the output shaft and added a flange. Just like the re kit, but to save cost. I'm looking for any drawings that would show the proper seal used for the output shaft. so i can fab my own.
any info is great

Thank Trev

------------------
94' YJ 4' lift 33's and not enough gearing

·
Registered
565 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the NP231 cases 97+ already have a sealed output shaft? You could have a look at one of these and pos. steal some parts.

------------------
Dave

·
Registered
148 Posts
No, they're not sealed.... I think the 2003 Rubicon TJ will be though!

------------------
00 TJ
Just Empty Every Pocket

[This message has been edited by TJeeper (edited January 24, 2002).]

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
A Canadian solution to this little piece of faulty engineering would be great.

If you find something, shout it to the heavens (and post it here!).

With the present exchange rate I'm dreading my next Visa bill - I broke down (pun intended) and ordered Tom Wood's kit for $600 US ($200 rebate for the core return, so $400) because I couldn't find anything local. I know I can get a damn fine double cardan, slip drive-shaft built locally, but if I have no way of plugging up the dripping end of the t-case it's not going to do me much good.

I don't really understand why someone locally hasn't filled this niche in the market.....and saved me the exchange rate!

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by DaveW:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the NP231 cases 97+ already have a sealed output shaft? You could have a look at one of these and pos. steal some parts.
Yes, the TJs used a different tailshaft housing design. If you pulled the driveshaft out of the slip yoke, the output shaft would remain sealed so you didn't have to worry about fluid loss. The downside is that this necessitated a longer tailshaft housing which meant an even shorter driveshaft.

The longer output shaft is also more prone to bending because it isn't supported by a bearing at the rear-most end. At least that's what I've heard.

So, if you're lifting your TJ 3" or more, you'll probably still want to get an SYE kit.

As for while they're not made locally, I really don't know, Dale. I know that one or two guys have made their own but never bothered to make extras. Really, the only part you'd have to fabricate is the seal retainer. Everything else is off-the-shelf. You'd just have to find the correct size seal and CV yoke or flange.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

[This message has been edited by lars (edited January 24, 2002).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just pulled my old slip yoke junk out of the dust pile and I stand by my other post, if you pull out the yoke, it's not sealed. The only seal on the output of the shaft is where the slip yoke slides back and forth. The stuff I'm looking at is from my 2000 TJ. I currently run an Advance Adapters heavy duty tail shaft conversion and have been very happy with it, (except for the cost!).

I should also add, I originally had a RE SYE and wasn't impressed.

------------------
00 TJ
Just Empty Every Pocket

[This message has been edited by TJeeper (edited January 24, 2002).]

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by TJeeper:
I just pulled my old slip yoke junk out of the dust pile and I stand by my other post, if you pull out the yoke, it's not sealed. The only seal on the output of the shaft is where the slip yoke slides back and forth. The stuff I'm looking at is from my 2000 TJ. I currently run an Advance Adapters heavy duty tail shaft conversion and have been very happy with it, (except for the cost!).
Hmm...well, I could be mistaken but that's what I read. It's been a while since we did the one on Project TJ so I can't recall for sure (this failing memory excuse is so versatile!).

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey TJeeper if you don't mind my asking, what did you not like about the RE kit. And which kit did you have.

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000
SOA coming in Jan bye bye body lift hello 8" suspension lift

·
Registered
148 Posts
The RE SYE came with the RE 4.5" lift I bought. This is the cheap a** SYE that involves cutting off part of the output shaft, drilling a hole, tapping it, and mounting the RE SYE flange on the end. As you can probably guess, this could create a weak spot! After 8000km the CV driveshaft that RE supplied failed, (non-greasable CV!), and the flange became sloppy on the output shaft. That's when I upgraded to the heavy duty A.A. shaft kit.

------------------
00 TJ
Just Empty Every Pocket

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TJeeper,

Do you still have the RE kit flange, it would have all the dimensions on it or the seal # for the output shaft.

Thanks Trev

------------------
94' YJ 4' lift 33's and not enough gearing

·
Registered
397 Posts
Making a sealing plate that bolts on in place of the tailhousing is pretty easy; you can even design it for the bigger output bearing that comes with the RE kit. This part is a 30-minute job on a lathe.

The hard part is coming up with something for a yoke. AFAIK the spline count on that shaft is non-standard, and I don't think there's any Spicer yokes that will fit. RE uses a flat flange with custom-cut female splines, and that kind of custom work gets expensive in a hurry!

So if anyone finds a yoke that fits the 231 output shaft, you're laughing.

Chris (I bet the Olsens could help
)

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the spline count of the rear output shaft, if it is not standard.

thanks Trev

------------------
94' YJ 4' lift 33's, not enough gearing

·
Registered
138 Posts
The output shaft is 27 spline and common end yokes are 26 spline.You could fabricate the seal flange, add the wider bearing and buy the end yoke flange from Currie or whoever. I think it costs around $80.00. Also add the cost of the aluminum roundstock for the seal flange in there which is about $50.00.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yup, still have the RE flange in the junk pile. It makes a good paper weight! It uses the existing seal and housing on the transfer case. As stated by "cwate", RE just made a flat flange with a sealing surface and some internal splines to match. I've even kept my old shaft that I drilled and tapped while it was installed in the case! Now that's a piece of work, more paper weights for the junk pile! If you are planning to do any sort of hard wheeling, money equals piece of mind. Just buy a heavy duty shaft kit. I'm starting to gain more scrap metal in the closet than my Jeep weighs.

Paul...

------------------
00 TJ
Just Empty Every Pocket

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I gave up on the issue and bought a JB conversions 32 spline kit.
I thought about making my own seal housing and stuff, but like Chris said, there are no ready made 27 spline end yokes. There is not enough material on the stock slip yoke to make it into an end yoke, and having somebody machine some inside splines and then having the part hardened is kinda pricey.
I finally decided I'm gonna have this transfer case forever, so I might as well spend the money once and be done with it.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in the process of doing a home made SYE for my 98 xj. I'm a lucky one, having no sealing issues with the newwer model 231. I've found a spicer yoke that I think will work. I've got it, but don't have the part number and haven't bothered looked it up yet. Nor have I actually tried to fit it yet. I'm trusting that the shop got me the right one. $53 bucks though which I found a lot easier to swallow than the outrageous prices you by the time it get from the US to your door. The only problem is that the splined section is open all the way through, ie. nothing to bottom out on the output shaft so it will slide on till it runs out of splines or hits the tcase; no small hole for the bolt to go through. I figure this is as simple as getting the machine shop to weld in a thick-washer like piece. The splines are about an inch deep and it's for the 1310 series u-joints. I've got a line on what they tell me is an 89 Dakota shaft which is just like an xj front (newer double cardan style, not the beer can) except way heavier in the splined slip section. Once I get it lengthened, it should be perfect. Once I get some time and get it done, I'll post results.
Dale: Did you swap a tcase or something? Is yours not like mine where the tail cone seals to the output shaft?

-kelly

------------------
kelly klassen courtenay bc
98xj 4.0 4x4 5spd 2dr
3" custom lift, w/SBDs
hs95001
custom bumper, skids, and rockrails
all rolling on 30" bfg at's

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Originally posted by kel1:
Dale: Did you swap a tcase or something? Is yours not like mine where the tail cone seals to the output shaft?

-kelly

NP242

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts