BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I fired up the jeep for the first time in almost 5 yrs now I need to get my CV driveshaft shortened so that I can drive it to the exhaust shop.

With the pinion pointing towards the transfercase I believe I have about a 18 degree angle on the output at the t/c. This is with a flat skidplate. I recently read in the local 4x4 mag that 15 degrees should be the max angle on a regular ujoint as well as a cv setup. I think it was the driveline shop recommending the 15 degree but I've dealt with some rearend shops in the past the would never run a driveshaft on a slight side to side angle and I got away with that for years without any problems.

Should I drop the skidplate some to lessen the angle or will the CV ujoints survive for a reasonable length of time operating at this angle? Anyone operating near 20 degrees? I could handle replacing the ujoints after 10,000 miles if it means I can keep the skidplate flat.

Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
with your handy dandy angle finder, measure the angle of the yoke of the transfercase. Subtract this angle from the measured shaft angle and this is the total angle on the cv joint.

Mine is running around 17 degrees and it works fine. Just be a little more routine in greasing it and dont forget to grease the ball socket.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts