BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought i had a burnt valve but after removing the head and finding no burnt valve,no scoring on the cylinder,no melted piston,im scratching MY head.I am thinking a broken ring but i can pour gas in that cylinder and it doesnt drain.any ideas?

------------------
79 Bronco 33"geerals, 4"coils,shackle reversal
wow!what a view from up here

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
What is wrong with a Ford 300 cu in "Lugger" str8 six, every one I know that has one has beat the crap out of it only to find it is indestructible, and will last for another 100k miles. What happened to the engine?

------------------
78 Bronco 351M SM435 NP205, D44 and Ford 9", and all stock!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lots of blow by when revving from idle and under load,now it has a funny rattle.I think i will remove the pan & look for a broken skirt

------------------

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like my old 6, so much blow by I had to sillicon the dipstick in because it was blowing it out and blowwing oul out too. Grab the belt and turn the motor over with ease, put it in seccond gear and still push the truck by hand.....burnt about 1 and a half liters of oil per tank, (in 2 stroke terms about 40-1 ratio )...bad vibration and rattle was a realy bad bottom end, spun #2 Main bearing , rods and mains were all worn through the layers into the backing, and #2 rod bearing actualy melted, started to wear through the backing and into the rod itself, I threw new bearings and an oil pump in, #2 still had between 1/16 and 1/8 of oil clearance, was allot quieter though, then I realy bagged on it. I mean realy hard, float the valves all the way through the mud hole , got pretty noisey after a few weeks, but was still running when I pulled it out, and put a 302 in its place

------------------
White 88 Ford F 150, Long box, 96 Front clip,Carburated and Points ignition 302 Solid axle Front, 14`` Suspension lift, 39.5 Swampers, 1179 RTI------ UNDER CONSTRUCTION 86 Ranger Extcab, 351 v8 9`` Rear (full width)Dana 44 front(full width) Spooled front and rear, 4 corners on coils, undetermined lift height, Will roll on 35x16 Boggers

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Fords are notorious for the rear main seal going, and leaking lots of oil, sounds like a bottom end problem!

------------------
78 Bronco 351M NP435 NP205, D44 and Ford 9", and all stock!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not the rear seal,it is new & doesnt drip it blows out the breather.Now its at cruise speed too.Gonna pull off road for rebuild.Found 86 Ford van for $150.00 to drive!

------------------

·
Registered
302 Posts
are you using the breather with out the elbow and hose to the aircleaner? it's unbaffled and oil will come out regardless (better to run a cap and a breather at the rear hole which is properly baffled) also depending on where the rattle is check the oil pump mount it's got a LONG pickup tube with a brace to one of the bearing caps (mine was broken once) and fuel pumps for these have been known to make noises like stuck lifters ... also they'll tick when out of time (just trying to help, you may have already known these but ya never know
)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts