BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I was working at my bank from 7-7 and during that time, someone hopped into the back of my truck (top was off) and stole my sub box and sunglasses.

:mad:

Anyway, insurance cost $300 and the sunglasses were $150 and so was the sub so whats the point I guess.

I have an alarm, I guess this just means that I need to get a proximity sensor.

·
Registered
344 Posts
that sucks.....fyi icbc won't cover your sun glasses u would have to go through your home insurance if u wanted to claim...

allan

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
In my experience they also won't cover the sub box unless you can proove that is was bolted down.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This isn't so much off-topic as it could help all of us in the future, but I was thinking of a way to secure speaker boxes in 4-wheel rigs (as their often without doors et. tops)

I'm sure I've seen some metal netting around. If you could find a net, cover the box, and bolt it to the floor with about 8-12 heavy sheetmetal screws, it might prevent the 'usual' thefts. Does anyone know of the netting we need? I'm thinking a chicken-wire type pattern, but made out of (somewhat)thick metal cord, like the downrigger lines for fishing. If made correctly, it would fit tight over a speaker box/amp, yet not wreck any components. Possibly even thicker wire/cable loops for the bolts to atach to.
For some reason I think I've seen this type of netting before, but I can't remember where. It won't stop all thieves, but it would certainly deter those that only want to spend 5-10 seconds in a car that's not theirs in a public area.

·
Registered
277 Posts
why did you leave any thing with value inside?

·
Registered
352 Posts
There is nothing available to stop a thief from taking your goods. I used to install alot of stereo gear a few yrs back.

The best things for an open style vehicle is to put the box in but with no sub in it and bolt the box from the inside, then install your sub. Use a combination of screws to mount your subs and amps. Like robertson, philips and torx bits with different head values like a 15 torx and a 30 torxetc.

Sure it may not stop a determined ass from grabbing them, but it will slow them down possibly enough to be caught.

Using traps like razor blades etc can and will get you in some big trouble. Just kep all your model and serial numbers if possible and get some stickers on your vehicle that says equipped with an alarm system or similiar.

Pick up todays Province, there is a small section that reports on car thefts around the coast. Sorry to say it ,but Surrey is the hot spot.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Toyrantula said:
Using traps like razor blades etc can and will get you in some big trouble. Just kep all your model and serial numbers if possible and get some stickers on your vehicle that says equipped with an alarm system or similiar.

Pick up todays Province, there is a small section that reports on car thefts around the coast. Sorry to say it ,but Surrey is the hot spot.
You'll have to excuse me, I'm a ******* and dislike citys, so I'm not too familiar with car theft laws and such. If I line the inside of my speaker box with razor blades and my speaker box is inside of my locked truck, how can I get in trouble for it? I'm not trying to be hard, but I'd like to know how that is wrong. That's like not fixing the brake lines on my old Ford that's parked behind my house and having some schmuck steal it. Am I in trouble if he crashes and gets hurt? btw, where can you get good razor blades? The grocery store here only sells the flimsy kind. (for sticker-removal purposes)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I know it sounds really dumb, but think of these idiots giving millions of dollars to dumasses that burn themselves with hot coffee from McDonalds, that sort of thing.

Or the burglar that broke his arm running away when my neighbor caught him. He got an award for pain and suffering and a very reduced slap on the wrist.

It gets me too. I want to be able to protect what I have as would anyone else. I uess if they get hurton your property, just drag thier sory ass to the curb.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don’t think I care if setting traps might get me in trouble. Knowing that some puke low-life scum-sucking maggot is missing a finger or two because he tried to steal my stuff (stuff that I work hard for) would make me feel warm and fuzzy inside! :D

Getting sued and/or in legal trouble for trying to protect my hard earned property, give me a major break! I don’t think I could take the law seriously if I went though an experience like that.

Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome to Canada, give up your right to defend yourself at the border!

Anyways, the problem with the law and the razorblades is that you are placing them in the box with the INTENT to injure someone. The law plays that as assault and if the thief reported you, which would more than likely only happen if he/she was caught in the act, then you would be charged with assault or intent to injure.

Something like that.

Just remember, this is not the US. You have very little property protection rights like Americans have.

·
Registered
192 Posts
bigbadbob said:
Just remember, this is not the US. You have very little property protection rights like Americans have.
Maybe this is the problem.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
If you are going to leave stuff in your vehicle where you can not see it at all times then it is bound to happen...desperate people are living on the streets or need to by their next fix. Lock it or Lose it does not prevent theft anymore...more like strip your vehicle before you leave it!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Rude said:
This isn't so much off-topic as it could help all of us in the future, but I was thinking of a way to secure speaker boxes in 4-wheel rigs (as their often without doors et. tops)

I'm sure I've seen some metal netting around. If you could find a net, cover the box, and bolt it to the floor with about 8-12 heavy sheetmetal screws, it might prevent the 'usual' thefts. Does anyone know of the netting we need? I'm thinking a chicken-wire type pattern, but made out of (somewhat)thick metal cord, like the downrigger lines for fishing. If made correctly, it would fit tight over a speaker box/amp, yet not wreck any components. Possibly even thicker wire/cable loops for the bolts to atach to.
For some reason I think I've seen this type of netting before, but I can't remember where. It won't stop all thieves, but it would certainly deter those that only want to spend 5-10 seconds in a car that's not theirs in a public area.

maybe you're thinking of the stuff they sell in places like Taiga/3vets/MEC for Backpacks? basically it's exactly how you described, but it's quite small gauge, meant more to foil pick-pockets kinda thing, and it's DEATHLY $$$$ (neat stuff, though.)

that sucks, Whizz!:mad: I to, have been de-stereo-ized, only they used what appeared to be a crowbar or something to mangle the housing (5/8's marine plywood bolted down with carriage bolts), then rip the amp out.
this was down town Vancouver, broad daylight. how can you stop punks that carry crowbars with them in the middle of the day on busy streets....:( sigh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts