BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear end on my '91 YJ is not sounding / looking too good and I'm considering my rebuild options.

I presently have 31" tires (4.0l engine) but only 3.0x gears. I'm considering combining a rebuild with a change to 3.5x ratio in both ends. I don't do a lot of "hardcore" off roading (mainly old logging roads), and I think this would bring me back to a roughly stock overall drive ratio, making 5th gear usable again. My questions are:

1) Has anyone had good (or bad) experiences with any Vancouver,BC shops who do this kind of work?

2) How many mega bucks am I looking at (Cad $) to have both ends done in a shop? (Considering that it would involve a change to the rear carrier as well as the R&P)

3) Are there any good autowreckers in Vancouver where I could find good axles with this ratio (or maybe even higher) already in them? (I'm not sure what ratios were available stock.)

4) Is there an easy way to identify what ratios are in a used axle other than pulling off the cover and counting the teeth?

Answers to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

·
Registered
327 Posts
As far as shops call Ian at IWE rear ends only. The gears you have are a 3.07, and you would not have to change carriers to go to a 3.55 for example..

Best bet would be to swap in a front and rear out of a 4cyl Yj they already have. 4.10 gears.I have a front end I will sell you for 275 installed or 150 bucks rotor to rotor..

Needs a shift motor but yours should work. Find a rear end for say 200 you are still way ahead of the game money wise...

you will be looking at over a grand for a gear swap. So you do the math..

Good luck

Jason

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000
SOA coming in Jan bye bye body lift hello 8" suspension lift

[This message has been edited by jason-ramsey (edited December 16, 2001).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
will the front and rear of the 4cyl yj w/ 4.10 gears work on a XJ? direct bolt on?

------------------
86 XJ Procomp 3 inch lift w/ 31s, Crane Ignition, MSD coil, K&N filter, Electric Fan, Holley Carb, Edelbrock Intake, Torque Cam.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Front I will say no do to the fact thatxj is coil in the front. Rear not sure..

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000
SOA coming in Jan bye bye body lift hello 8" suspension lift

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by 4Low:
will the front and rear of the 4cyl yj w/ 4.10 gears work on a XJ? direct bolt on?
Neither end will be bolt-on. The Cherokee is spring-over-axle in the rear. Also, the perch locations are slightly wider apart anyway. And finally, the shock mounts will need to be re-positioned on the axle tubes.

On the front, if you are asking if it'll fit, then you definitely don't have the skills to make it fit. ;-) It's a lot of work because you'll need to either fabricate, buy, or transfer the control arm bracketry to the YJ front axle and make sure you get the geometry right.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by ScottH:
but i do believe the internals are interchangable?
Yes, I believe so. Oh, wait a minute...I can't remember if they both use high pinion Dana 30s. I've forgotten...I know all YJs had high pinion D30's. Early Cherokees should also have them. Not sure about the later ones. In any case, if you swap the internals, you'll have to get the gears set up.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.