BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone out there will be able to help me with. I'm going to be replacing my rear diff. pinion yoke in the coming days, and I'd like to know the following before I begin:

1) What size socket will fit the pinion nut?

2) What is the proper torque for the nut when I put it back on?

3) The Dana 35C is a limited slip diff. What kind of fluid should I use? I'm planning on changing the fluid as well. I've read that the diff. requires an additive? I know how to change the fluid, I'm just not certain about the proper fluid I should be using.

Thank you for reading my post. Have a great day!

- Jason

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a 1993 YJ, although I don't think it matters in this situation

·
Registered
397 Posts
1) No idea. I can think of an easy way to find out, though

2) No idea, but a Haynes/Chiltons manual will tell you, and you might as well pick one up anyway if you're doing this kind of work...

3) Yes, you'll want to put in some friction additive. The dealer sells it in little bottles, not too expensive. Stinky stuff.

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
the socket is 15/16". the best way to figure out the torque is find out the torque it takes you to take the yoke off. if that fails then when you start to tighten the new yoke on just keep tightening it until the yoke gets a little tough to turn then back off a little. the yoke should be free spinning with little resistance. if i remember right the yoke is only torqued at 10-20 ft-lbs. just make sure you lift up the rear tires of else you won't have a hope in hell to turn the yoke!!

------------------
'93 sahara ~ rancho springs, SOA, EB axles, detroit, 35s, and hi steer in the works

·
Registered
92 Posts
50 bucks at quicklube store.
both diffs and transfer case fluids.
15 minutes,and guaranteed no leaks.

cheers: eric

------------------
when i die ,the jeep goes with me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts