BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What trucks are good to get dana 44s from that would be good to swap into an xj? What axles would be the easyest to swap in? Will a scout front axle work good?

------------------
76 Jimmy 4" lift,3" body lift, 36.5" tires,lights and other great stuff.
www.teamrush.web.com

·
Registered
102 Posts
Make sure it has a driver's side pumpkin...use what you want...but also watch to make sure that you don't get a high pinion 44, makes it hard to articulate with the driveshaft in the oil pan.

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Might be hart to get the driveshaft to reach without a high pinion 44 there Phil.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by Dan:
Might be hart to get the driveshaft to reach without a high pinion 44 there Phil.

not really true there danno! my old front driveshaft that i used with my hp dana30 worked nicely with my regular pinion d44 (until i added the buggy springs). the thing is the d44 center section is longer than the d30 so the driveshaft works quite well.

ps. is this another one of those 'stupid kid comments' you were talking about in you other post

------------------
'93 sahara ~ rancho springs, SOA, EB axles, detroit, 35s, and hi steer in the works

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by vinsimo:
What is a good donor vehicle?

71ish-76 bronco. around the 70-71 time ford switched to a d44 from a d30 so make sure you check before you buy.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ rancho springs, SOA, EB axles, detroit, 35s, and hi steer in the works

·
Registered
382 Posts
For a drivers side drop 44 that should be around the right width I would seek out a late model (late 80's to 91) Jeep wagoneer (the full size)
In my opinion there is no strength upgrade using the Early Bronco axles as they still use the 5-260x axle u-joint, same as a factory XJ dana 30.....

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender
Gradually becoming un-toyotafied.......Got 4.3???
http://www.ottindustries.com

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisOlson:
In my opinion there is no strength upgrade using the Early Bronco axles as they still use the 5-260x axle u-joint, same as a factory XJ dana 30.....

ys that is true but i just swapped in chev d44 shafts, one is a straight swap and the other you have to send to lajunes to get shortened for 90 bucks. this way you get the 297x joints and the chev outers for the disc brake conversion.

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.