BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have 2 dana 44 axles one is a waggy and the other is a 74 chev. Besides the axles being different is everything else totally interchangable? I am going to put the chev knuckles on the waggy diff for my toyota so I can run high steer stuff. All so where is the cheapest place to have the knuckles shaved flat? I have access to a surface grinder but then I have to make a jig and everything. If I can get it done cheap by someone else that would be great.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
A surface grinder might take a little while to clean that up...do you have access to a milling machine?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Knuckles and everything inside the diff is interchangeable between all standard-cut dana 44s, AFAIK. There's a lot of different spindles, hubs, and rotors, only some of which are interchangeable.

To surface the flat-top knuckle, you'll want to have it decked on a milling machine. A decent selection of vices and blocks is all that's really needed to set it up in the machine, though.

Note: at least 1/4" of material had to be removed from my passenger-side knuckle before it matched my driver-side knuckle, in terms of the deck height.

Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What did you use to drill the holes drill press or lathe? I think that my friend might do the knuckles 4 me at his work.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Holes were drilled on a press, with the knuckle held in place using a vice and some supporting blocks.

Mark the hole pattern very carefully, making sure not to skew the entire pattern to the left or right.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts