BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering, or i heard there is a way to check the gear ratio without having to pull the whole damn thing apart. If you know how if you could let me know. I am looking at some axles and was told there are 5:29s in them but want to check myself without any major hassel

thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
if it has a locker or both wheels are off the ground simply count the number of turns it takes on the pinion shaft to rotate the tires once. if only one tire is off the ground and it is open, count the turns for two rotations of the wheel. the nuber of rotations of the pinion is the ratio.:)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the axles are on jack stands, and the pinion goes around twice for every tire rotation . so do i double that to get the ratio.

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
v6 529s new from iwe installed for 660

if one tire is off the ground, other one stationary turn the tire untill the pinion turns 10 times, then double that.

ie 26.5 turns of the tire to 10 pinion rotations is a 5.29

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
NEW 5:29'S not setup is 300 bux from nsor

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so here is the deal, my axles are off the ground on stands. So for every 2 full rotations of the wheel, i got 4 and 1/8 revolution of the pinion. Now im slow so can someone tell me are these 4:10s or what? I have tried a couple different ways and for some reason i just cant figure it out .

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
im assuming that you dont have a locker in the 3rd???
if only one tire was spinning that would give you 4.10s

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well now that i have determined that the gears are not 5:29s do you think i could still push 35s with a nearly stock 22r. And would it be worth regearing to 4:88 or 5:29s . I would rather stick with the 4:10s and run the 35s if its possible but im not sure that little engine has the power? I really want to run the 35s someone help me .........ahhhhhhhhh... i need a solution , i guess i could just run 33s

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
you should run 529s for 35 488/456 for 33.

otherwise your going to have to bag on that little motor to get it to go anywhere, not to mention the extreem clutch wear.

to put it into perspective my 83 toyota no-box with 33s and 529s and an efi motor is a length ahead uptil third gear when racing my friends 90 integra with headers, fullexhaust, intake, cams and a digital fuel computer. my motor is a stocker' bored 30 over.
gears will make a huge difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts