BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone ever used a detroit true trac posi in their toy? This is just a posi right? Does anybody think its worth it? As there is a rear toy axle with 8 inch diff for sale up here and i was thinking of calling about it.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Um...posi is pretty much pointless for off-roading.

Most people I talk to find VERY little differance between posi, open, and limited slip.

If your gonna put detroit in your axle...make it a locker.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Goof said:
Um...posi is pretty much pointless for off-roading.

Most people I talk to find VERY little differance between posi, open, and limited slip.

If your gonna put detroit in your axle...make it a locker.
I have an electric locker in the back (had a detroit, hated it) and a True-Trac LSD in the front, and I notice a big difference between having the front open and having a LSD.

oh and BTW, Posi-traction and LSD are the same thing.

Posi is a (R) of GM that was there fancy name they gave there Limited slip diffs.

LSD come in all types... Cone clutches, clutch pads, govenors (aka co-co clock posi's or timex posi's), Torsen gleason (worm gears like a true-trac).

·
Registered
1 Posts
:violin

That's all well and good B but don't you think you should fix the shocks&clutch first before you start messing with other stuff. I already get whiplash from the paved roads, let alone your hunting ones :eek:

Maynard

·
Registered
155 Posts
Toyotapillar said:

I have an electric locker in the back (had a detroit, hated it) and a True-Trac LSD in the front, and I notice a big difference between having the front open and having a LSD.

oh and BTW, Posi-traction and LSD are the same thing.

Posi is a (R) of GM that was there fancy name they gave there Limited slip diffs.

LSD come in all types... Cone clutches, clutch pads, govenors (aka co-co clock posi's or timex posi's), Torsen gleason (worm gears like a true-trac).
Active trac is not like any of those, active truck uses the abs and applies the brake to a spinning wheel and puts the power to the opposite wheel, it acts like a front and rear locker but operated buy a computer

·
Registered
276 Posts
steve25 said:

Active trac is not like any of those, active truck uses the abs and applies the brake to a spinning wheel and puts the power to the opposite wheel, it acts like a front and rear locker but operated buy a computer
Wow, I don't recal writing anything about active trac, hmmm... wonder why...

1) Its has no relavence to this message thread

2) because its not something that you can just bolt on as a mod to you're vehicle

3) 99% of people would not bolt it on if they could, they would get a LSD or Locker.

The reason an LSD or Active Trac or "It doesn't matter what its called traction aided differential" will never be as a good as a locker (traction wise) is a locker will ALWAYS send even and uninteruped torque to BOTH wheels, LSD and "Active Tracs" etc always have to "Fool" a part of drivetrain to divert power to another wheel. I have a Detroit true-trac and and its great, but its NOT A LOCKER. The split second it takes to get the LSD to its thing (same goes for your thing) you can loose momentum/break traction, this can be the difference between getting throught/over or being rejected.

I have read you're other posts. A locker is a locker, a LSD is a LSD and Active trac is... well I think I've made my point.

You had a lot of people in the Trailtalk forum I believe giving you a hard time about your little active trac do-dad claims about it being as good as too lockers. "who needs 2 lockers when you have the all new active trac"
I don't know, people who actually wheel?? I'll gladly eat crow the day people start ditching their spools, detroits, ARBs, Toy E-lockers, welded rears, lock-rights in favour of the all might "Computer Controled Toyota Active-Trac"

Would someone else who "Gets it" please back me up here :D

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Steve25 has already admitted that Active Trac isn't as good as dual lockers. As for his sig...well, there does appear to be an inconsistency there.

The more interesting question to me is whether Active Trac is better than a single locker. Unfortunately, we'll never know until we can find someone who has Active Trac who also isn't afraid of coming along on a test run. I have a buddy with a '93 (or something like that) 4Runner that is bone stock 'cept for 31" AT tires and a rear ARB. I'd like to see how it compares with a similarly-equipped 4Runner with Active Trac.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had a true trac in my toy 8 inch front axle and a full detroit rear in the truck I just sold. As Toypillar said they make quite a bit of difference. You can also give the brakes a little pressure to "lock" it up as well. I found it a little squirely on snow packed pavement, it pulled side to side on gear changes. When I had it in sand, deep snow and mud it peformed very well. The only instance I wished it was a locker was in rock crawl type situations where you want zero slip. I would go selectable locker next time though. As for those computer controlled active trac type systems, my buddy has something like that in his Tahoe, it worked pretty well when we went up a loose sand hill. Actually suprised me, I figured that land yacht would spin down to the frame.

Mike.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have friends who have or had a TrueTrac in the front diff; no trouble with them. It'll be a good upgrade for you, unless you are rock crawling all the time (in which case you'd really want a locker). They are a limited-slip, but IMHO are the best LSD on the market because they have no clutch plates to wear out. You will definitely notice a difference with any LSD over an open diff; people will tell you "yeah but if you get a tire in the air blah blah..." but regardless, you are still better off with an LSD than with an open diff. I'm under the impression that a new unit is pretty pricey, but if you've got a line on a used one then go for it. You can always sell it to another 'wheeler when you eventually upgrade to a locker. Or put it in the rear diff for now, and when you buy a locker, put the locker in the rear and the LSD in the front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts