BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to the shop that aligned my steering when i had my lift done. one of my tie rods was seized. anyways, long story short, i just shelled out $450 to get my steering wheel straight. turns out both rods were seized and had to be replaced. i ended up buying two tie-rod adjusting sleeves, two outer tie-rod ends, and two inner tie-rod ends. lordco quoted me $50 for a tie-rod, but this guy assured me that it was just for the outter and that they sold crap that was just gonna seize up again. the tie-rods are manufactured my moog.

------------------
what's a 4x4?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ya you got taken. Moog stuff isn't any better than the Lordco stuff. I went through 3 Moog balljoints in the space of 4 months, I finally just bought the bullet and paid a little more for the Toyota part, and its been great ever since.

For $450 you could have bought the Toy parts and installed them yourself and it would last alot longer.

The only thing that may save the deal, is if they have some type of guarantee. At least the three balljoints were covered, and I didn't have to rebuy them each time, but it still didn't cover the hassle of continuously changing them out.

------------------
87 runner, 4500 lbs dry, auto tranny, 22RE, very slow on hills, flats and downhills....
http://members.shaw.ca/rpkennedy/

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they have a one year warranty. apparently toyota tie-rods are notorious for seizing up. he said the moogs will last as long as i own the vehicle.

------------------
what's a 4x4?

·
Registered
277 Posts
he said the moogs will last as long as i own the vehicle. well if he said that then he should warranty them for as long as you own you truck.... but any time you take you're vehicle to a garage and you don't know what they are talking about you're going to get burned. Thats why I stoped and started doing my own repairs cheaper this way and it's not hard to learn...

Sean

------------------
[email protected]
81 toyo
not much but it's my toy
it's never let me down EVER or should i say until my wife drove in!!
remember what we go in with we must come out with even if it is just parts !!

[This message has been edited by udermind? (edited February 04, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by udermind? (edited February 04, 2002).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do you figure that you got ripped
$50.00 per end X4 =$200.00
25.00 per sleeve=&50.00 (this price is only a guess)
Tax pst gst $35.00
So parts would be about $285.00
1.8Hr labor to replace tie rods @$60.00=$108.00
1.9Hr labor to aligned @$60.00 =114
Tax gst $15.54
Labor would be $237.54
Total 522.54
The time were from the Mitchell labor book
So I would go 1 Hr for the alignment $60.00
Which would bring the cost to about 464.76
So If you did need that work, I don't think you got burned.

·
1,269 Posts
Whenever I ask for Tie rod ends at Lordco they hand me a little blue box that says "MOOG" on it so I think that shop was taking you for the proverbial ride.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
udermind, i would totally prefer to do my own work, but i really don't have much of a clue what i'm doing. i'm trying to find a mechanics course to get into, but everything seems to be career oriented with 2 and 3 year programs. i love getting underneath my truck and gettin my hands dirty, but unfortunately with me, my knowledge doesnt go much past an oil change.

------------------
what's a 4x4?

·
Registered
161 Posts
When I did my ends I bought them at lordco and they where moog. I bought them for I think $30 a side on acount.

------------------
You havnt been wheeln' till you have been stuck

83 toy, long box, 22r, 35's, locked rear end, prerunner bumper, body work done bye sledge hammer.

Chicks dig body Dammage

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey sizzlechest don't frett. Just buy a manual and don't be affraid to call you're friendly mechanic. It's inevitable that there will be a time when you're half way through a job and find you need some parts or tools. I've never really done major work on any previous vehicle. But since I bought my 4x4 i've done my own lift,engine,clutch,brakes and minor body and paint work. It's an expensive sport/hobbie, so get you're hands dirty and save a bit of cash here and there. Good Luck. Mudder2

[This message has been edited by mudder2 (edited February 04, 2002).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since when did Lordco start selling Moog? They (as far as I know) stopped selling that brand between 5-8 yrs ago. They sell/sold TRW the last while. TRW is crap for MOST applications. Moog is the best for MOST. Emphasizing Most. Moog is also the most expensive. Next to some dealer prices. Moog is particularly good for domestic vehicals.

------------------
A nonsmokin' 81 powered
83 longbox.
Pole vault over it.

[This message has been edited by Bazzer (edited February 04, 2002).]

·
1,269 Posts
I've been buying Moog parts from Lordco for the past 4 years. I thought TRW owned Moog or was it the other way around? Either way I thought they were the same product...

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got great respect for you Doug, but 2 hours to do an alingment is a bit high. If it takes a shop 2 hours to do that on an IFS truck its way to high. I called Toyota and the ends are 56.99, so $50 for a Moog end is way to much for me, I'd way rather have Toyota ends.

The $464 you calculated might not be that much , but for non-Totota parts that's too much, for around $500 you could get geniune Toy parts which would last longer.

Originally posted by Doug B:
How do you figure that you got ripped
$50.00 per end X4 =$200.00
25.00 per sleeve=&50.00 (this price is only a guess)
Tax pst gst $35.00
So parts would be about $285.00
1.8Hr labor to replace tie rods @$60.00=$108.00
1.9Hr labor to aligned @$60.00 =114
Tax gst $15.54
Labor would be $237.54
Total 522.54
The time were from the Mitchell labor book
So I would go 1 Hr for the alignment $60.00
Which would bring the cost to about 464.76
So If you did need that work, I don't think you got burned.

------------------
87 runner, 4500 lbs dry, auto tranny, 22RE, very slow on hills, flats and downhills....
http://members.shaw.ca/rpkennedy/

·
Registered
277 Posts
Originally posted by SizzleChest:
udermind, i would totally prefer to do my own work, but i really don't have much of a clue what i'm doing. i'm trying to find a mechanics course to get into, but everything seems to be career oriented with 2 and 3 year programs. i love getting underneath my truck and gettin my hands dirty, but unfortunately with me, my knowledge doesnt go much past an oil change.
Hey first of thanks for writing my user name right you are the first person to get that Right. Anyways no worries if you can take it apart you could put it back together again. This is how I learned to do it myself and it not hard to learn. I would recommend going to buy a manual for you're truck. Haneys has a good one out and they show you the complete break down just remember when you take something apart lay it out in order that it came off.. putting it back is just in reverse. I am self taught and it saves me money....
sean

------------------
[email protected]
81 toyo
not much but it's my toy
it's never let me down EVER or should i say until my wife drove in!!
remember what we go in with we must come out with even if it is just parts !!

·
Registered
83 Posts
YES, Toyota tie rod sleeves ARE notorious for seizing. In 5 years doing wheel alignments I could safely say that 80% of them were seized. As for a shop saying the Lordco ends were crap, I don't believe that, where do THEY buy them??? same suppliers as Lordco probably. Did you get ripped off...I don't think so, would I go back to THAT shop....NO, they just don't sound very trustworthy or ethical to me.

------------------
if it ain't broke, you don't go hard enough!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
here's the breakdown of the costs..
2 Tie rod adjusting sleeves (ES2369S) $58.02
2 Outer tie rod ends (ES2376) $98.00
1 Inner tie rod end (ES3192) $70.47
1 Inner tie rod end (401-1505) $70.47
Labour $100.00
Wheel Alignment - no charge cuz i already paid for it when i originally had my truck lifted.
the owner seemed like a nice guy and all, i'm just having a hard time swallowing the fact that i went in wanting my steering wheel straight, and walked out $450 in the hole...

------------------
what's a 4x4?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by SizzleChest:
here's the breakdown of the costs..
2 Tie rod adjusting sleeves (ES2369S) $58.02
2 Outer tie rod ends (ES2376) $98.00
1 Inner tie rod end (ES3192) $70.47
1 Inner tie rod end (401-1505) $70.47
Labour $100.00
Wheel Alignment - no charge cuz i already paid for it when i originally had my truck lifted.
the owner seemed like a nice guy and all, i'm just having a hard time swallowing the fact that i went in wanting my steering wheel straight, and walked out $450 in the hole...

Yes that seesm like a reasonable cost for the repairs that were done. Keep in mind that most shop make some money to offset the labor rates by sellign the parts they install at list, or a bit under. Yes you could probably get Lordco or somewhere to sell you cheaper, but then the shop probably wouldn't be making as much money, and after all thats the nature of running a buisiness.

Did you get burned? no.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i went in wanting my steering wheel straight
man you should have just took the steering wheel off and moved it strait. :laugh :laugh :******* only would have had to remove one nut

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
bottom line here is ..... all business are in business TO MAKE MONEY .... yeah one may be cheeper then the other ... lordco may sell this ... some other jobber may sell another , they do this ... BECAUSE OF PROFIT !!!!!

THE REAL QUESTION IS .... are you satisified with the repair ?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I had my IFS aligned last week at autotech in langley and I am very happy.The steering wheel isn't straight but both adjusting sleeves are centered .If he were to crank on the sleeves untill the steering wheel was straight,that would put the tie-rod assemblies at uneven lengths which would put my steering radius uneven. (sharp u-turns could only be done in one direction)So all I have to do now is pull the steering wheel and center it as Yotas dont have a master spline on the column.
P.s. If your control arm adjusting eccentrics are siezed it could take well into 2 hours for an alignment.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts