BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try this again, does anyone know where I can get a kit so I can run Propane and Diesel at the same time - no conversion!

No shops i've called know how to do it.
www.dieselperformanceproducts.com
From their faq section.

Why does it work so well?

" Propane acts as a "catalyst" when combined with diesel fuel. When propane is added to diesel fuel, almost 100% of the fuel is burned (as opposed to approximately 75% without propane injection) which is what gives you the "powershot" of torque, horsepower and fuel economy. How much increased torque and power can I expect? Horsepower and torque will increase from 25% to 60%"

------------------
470,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You should check that back issues of 4-Wheel and Off Road or Four Wheeler.
Not to long ago I read a very good article in one of these on this conversion. It was using domestic trucks but the company probably has kits to fit most popular diesels.
I can dig it up if you want, just have to sort through all the mags I have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ATS has a propane injector kit for the 5.9 cummins and Ford powerstroke, not sure about chev or anthing else. Apparently it works somewhat like a nitrous does for gas. It only injects propane at full thottle. Try the Banks website and see if the sell it or have a link to it. ATS is the outfit anyway, hope this helps

------------------
75 CJ5, Flintstone floorboards,dents, lumberwagon suspension, 31 muds, Warn 8000. In otherwords...Stock

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dp that would be great

All the kits I have seen are for domestic 8cyl - none for toy diesel. I don't want to go ahead and do something crazy like experimenting with a propane bottle and a tube into my air intake like a friend told me to do. I want a setup that is on a switch that i can flip for going up hills then turn it off. I've seen the setup on a big rig.

------------------
470,800 and rising

·
Registered
92 Posts
We have the Bullydog system on a 92 5.9 Cummins.

It injects propane all the time when you turn the solenoid on. There is a regulator that is used to "tune" the amount of propane flow. The propone is dumped into the after the airfilter through a hole we cut in the airtube thingy (technical eh?). After Stdying the kit closely it looked like you could just get a regulator of some sort made. Depending on the power you want, or economy, you you just keep adding propane until it starts to knock a bit, then back it off and you are set. It would be very simple to play with if you had a source for different propane regulators.

Oh ya, it makes hella lots of difference in power too. Creates alot cleaner burn as well.
It took alot of the blue out of the exhaust of that 350,000 km 5.9l.

Corey

------------------
44044's AOR's spool n stuff.......

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I need is a regulator but no one seems to have one for this type of application. One shop told me that it was impossible to run propane with diesel! He told me he couldn't see how it would work without sparkplugs. I lmao!

This propane thing is my new project.

------------------
470,800 and rising

·
Registered
85 Posts
Propane injection works awesome, but mrdiesel, this will kill your engine (piston rings)way faster than a turbo. Talk to the guys at Valley Fuel Injection, they are all up on the propane systems, the systems are also easily home made, you need about 4 psi on the regulator, you'll know if you get too much by the pre-ignition knock. we started with a BBQ tank and regulator. Just make sure there is no LPG in the engine when the glow plugs come on, or else you may have to find a new hood (and head)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much will it affect the compression?
Man I didn't know it was worse than a turbo for wear, i'm going to have to look up on this.

------------------
470,800 and rising

·
Registered
85 Posts
The propane is very rewarding, but also very hard on rings according to Valley Fuel Injection, however they do sell kits for the bigger engines, and probably wouldn't admit it on the record. The homemade system consists of a BBQ tank and regulator, that will get you started. From there you can get into solenoid valves and the fancy stuff, but in the mean time until you get the pressures and volumes right its trial and error. We have never played with engines as small as the 2L so my experience with the 3B wouldn't help much. Do not let any propane in while glow plugs are on or KABOOM. And be careful because propane can sit in the intake until the next morning when the plugs do come on. So turn off the bottle well before shutting down for the night. Check a local appliance store for an adjustable regulator, You should need around 4 psi and we used a hose with a 1/4" i.d. Be very careful, The cops don't want to see a BBQ tank in the pass seat even if the seat belt is on. Once the trial and error is done get a tank setup from a wrecker, mount it in and your off. I will get the propane on this thing hopefully soon in the new year, I just need to look further into using it on a turbo motor

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm looking for the fancy solenoid setup that i can use for hill climbing, passing - not for constant all day use.

Is it possible to go with a lower psi like around 2. I'm trying to avoid the trial and error stage if possible. How far along have you come with the setup?

------------------
470,800 and rising

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
After watching my ex father-in-law doing the head and rings on straight six chevys I have seen the damage propane does to engines.
Here is what the shop in town says is the minimum modifications.
Welded keepers on the valve spring retainers.
3 angle valve cut,5 is better.
Hardened rings.
Tight as possible rod clearances.
No high volume oil pumps.
Enlarged sump.
Mind you these are fleet vehicles, but he has seen a lot of heat damage,and says timing is critical for long life.
Some of these trucks sport adjustable advance/retard modules in the cabs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
would it make a difference if I ran two oil filters for added capacity? It's beginning to sound like the best thing to do is just stay stock - or permanantly parked in the garage!

------------------
470,800 and rising

·
Registered
85 Posts
I should never admit this, but I used the propane bottle in the passenger seat method, and opening the valve when needed. I started at about 2 psi and after reading an article from Australia pushed it up closer to 4psi. I think that dp was referring to engines running straight propane, (he spoke of chevy 6cyl)Propane will cool the combustion temps and clean up the burn as well. I have been so busy working on other stuff that all of my own projects are out in the rain, or on the bench, But I would like to get back into the propane experimentation sooner rather than later.

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
so what about propane with gasoline???
anyone else tryed using straight o2 as a cheap nos setup? as far as i can figure the o2 sensor would pick up that there is an excess level of 02 and would deliver more fuel via the injectors? is this right?
(dont worry im going to try this first on my friends honda, not my toy)lol

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yes, I was refering to gas engines in my letter.
While it does some harm to a gas motor I admit I'm un-familiar with what it will do to a diesel.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so are there any possible problems that you guys know of? To me it seems logical that it would be beter for the engine - more complete burn, cleaner oil.

------------------
470,800 and rising

1 - 16 of 16 Posts