BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a GM 6.5 Diesel with an SM460 go into my FJ-55 with minimal mods to the motor mounts, I have the beleif that with an advanced adapters kit this should bold to my T-case? But I dont know, and am wondering if anybody has heard of this before, or am I nutbar for thinking this can work. I beleive they are 12 volt, so wiring shouldnt be a huge issue. Just chuckin this out there for contemplation. Any knowledge is appreciated!

Cheers
Tyler:confused2

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
My buddy runs a 6.5TD with a 700R4 hooked to a toy case, he will be running the np203/205 doubler soon, this is in an FJ45.
All the mounts need to be fabbed or bought, none of the stock cruiser mounts will work, but I think it's a good swap.
All that power has given his birfs hell though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I kinda thought the mounts would'nt work, and was planning on having some fabbed up. You dont hear alot of people going for this mod, but in my opinion, it should be better than a small block, good mileage(better than a 2f), and buckets of torque.

·
Registered
387 Posts
that is the LAST motor in the world that i would ever put in any 4x4!! my buddies dad owned three chevy's with that motor and had nothing but problems with ALL 3! every think went wrong that could go wrong! fuel pumps/ filters/all kinds of seals, i'm sure i could call him and he could give me at least a dozen thinks! and not little ones!
my motor that i would put in would be a 350 on propane!

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
616 Posts
There's nothing really wrong with a 6.5, the are a little low on power but if PROPERLY maintained then they are fine. GM never built the engines; all GM diesels up to the new duramax have been built by Detroit Diesel.

JP

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, there aint nothin wrong with them... they are certainly better than the 6.2! By the way... Detroit diesel is GM!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I do apologize sir... It appears I have not kept up with my GM knowledge, and for good reason... Dont care for em much! Now of cource this is just my opinion!

Cheers
Tyler:canadian

·
Registered
118 Posts
subscribe to the Land Cruiser mailing list and ask this question. I know there are at least 3 or 4 guys that have done it on there. They love it and have all the related info FROM EXPERIENCE;)
Norm

You should also check out ih8mud.com in the tech section for stuff like motormounts etc. (the sbc mounts will work for you)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Mudrunner, If a few people that are too dumb to know how to take care of a diesel have problems with them, then Im not surprised. Motorhead, thanks for the idea, its appreciated, and I will check on Ih8mud for some relevant info.

Cheers
Tyler:canadian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts