BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the situation.
I'm am going to buy another Land Cruiser for taking the family on vacation and towing my 2500lb tent trailer.
I will need a 60 series for the long wheelbase and the room inside.
My FJ40 with a rebuilt engine (2F), milled head and high flow exhaust has no trouble yanking the trailer along, even on the highway with 35's.
I have driven the diesel 60's both with the 3B(my favorite) and the 6cyl. Honestly I doubt that either engine has no where near enough power, at least in stock form, to tow that trailer and haul a load at the same time. Let alone do it with larger tires.
So that leaves me with gas powered 60's to choose from, but most come with auto's and I need the standard.
Why didn't Toyota build a diesel with some decent power?
Am I to end up with a Suburban?
I hope not.

·
1,269 Posts
Screw the 'cruiser, get a Nissan

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If ya got some money find a HJ-60, they have tons of tourqe and pretty decent power.

------------------
Yota Anyone?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've driven a friends G-wagen and I was left unimpressed with the power it had on the highway.
Even when running 33's and no load 5th gear was useless in steep hills.
Not enough power to keep up with my gas motored 40 anyway.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Originally posted by dp:
Why didn't Toyota build a diesel with some decent power?

They did, they just didn't let us have it :-(
Why not get a BJ60 and throw a turbo on it?

------------------
norm
'85 BJ70

·
Registered
144 Posts
The toyota diesel's may not have a lot of power but what they lack in HP they make up with in reliability and durability.

I used to wonder why GM uses Isuzu diesels in their delivery trucks, but now i know why. They don't seem to have confidence in their own diesel's.

------------------
470,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Get a BJ 60 and put an AXT turbo kit on it for 135 hp and 220 lbs/ft very conservatively, and 150 hp and 300lbs/ft easily, I have 452,000 km on mine, so I don't want to hear any comments about longevity. The 3B will last far longer than the 2H, so I'd stick with the 4 cyl.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll agree that the 3B is a better engine, but it needs thousands of dollars worth of mods just to get near the stock output of a gas engine (145hp-240ft/lbs).
A buddy of mine who visits yearly has turbo'd his 3B and while I drool over his BJ I realize it still lacks in power for my moderate needs.
I'm a Cruiser guy and I'll drive nothing else off road but maybe I'll have to buy something else for road use.
I know the Toyota diesels are extremely long lived and servicable well into the 300 000km range but..............
Maybe someone has has SBC powered 60 they are thinking of parting with?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious Big Bad Pete, what exactly do you mean by getting a Nissan.
I've got nothing against Nissan's having owned some myself at one time or another.
But does Nissan make a trail rig that will tow my trailer and carry the whole clan?
Maybe I've been blinded by this Land Cruiser thing for the past decade or so and have been missing out!

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you are set on a sbc rig, buy a high miler from the states for dirt cheep and get it up here and put in a TBI 350. Its done

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess if I lived in the land of Oz I could be driving some exellent Toyota diesels!
I guess the gov't decided that Canadians didn't need such vehicles.
Could be worse though, just look south of the border.
They didn't get any diesels, or high performance 2 stroke bikes like the RG500 Gamma, RZ500, RZ350 ect ect.

G

·
Power is a relative thing. Most diesels will outpull any gas engine on the market. You dont see too many gasoline powered tractor trailers now do you? Torque is the real number to worry about when talking about diesel engines. Gasoline engines are great when you are talking about top speed, but they dont fit the bill when you are towing heavy loads. A gasoline engine puting out 300 hp will probably put out around 300-350 ft/lbs of torque. Whereas a diesel putting out 300 horse can pull about 700-750 ft/lbs of torque. Now that there is stump pulling power.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not a diesel basher, I'd love to own a toyota diesel but they make less power and torque than a toyota gas engine.
At highway speeds towing my trailer, my diesel powered buddies can't keep up if it gets hilly.
But the new engines from Ford and Chevy are nothing less than awsome.
Anything that puts out over 500ft/lbs in a light truck overkill, but gimme more I say.
I think I may look for a 60 series cruiser with a 2F and a 4 speed. I don't even know if they came with a 5 speed.

·
1,269 Posts
I was joking. I don't like Nissans

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Could someone post the specs between the toyota gas and diesels - hp and torque

------------------
470,800 and rising

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
144 Posts
Could you please clarify how many cyls each and also could anyone post the 22r, rte etc specs

------------------
470,800 and rising

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mrdiesel, have you contacted AXT about availability of their products in Canada? secondly, I am wondering on what you base your opinion that turbos are not suited for a higher mileage engine. I am wondering if you have had bad experience with this or know someone who has. There are obviously diesels that are heavier duty than others, and some arguably should never be turbo'd. Do you feel all four cyls should not be turbo'd and, respectfully, why? In addition, how familiar are you with the 3B motor? I am of the opinion that with the wet liners, oil cooled pistons, and massive crank, and rods that this is by all respects an industrial duty engine and therefore well suited for turbo.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 3B , but i am a 2L man myself and i grill everyone I see with one. Most of the 2L turbos pack it in around 250-350,000kms 350,000 was the most i saw and the rest already had rebuilt engines. I was told by many heavy duty mechanics that a turbo on a 4cyl is not a good idea. I was going to slap on a turbo when i first got my truck but then decided no too after I looked into it. Six cylinder and above are the best candidates for a turbo because they are even more reinforced and can take the added strain. Who knows maybe a turbo would run fine on a high mileage but in my mind it's not worth the risk, dual fuel with propane sounds like a better source of power - but anyone know anything about propane causing accelerated ring wear? It all comes down to individual preference, whether you feel it will benefit you in the long run (or short run)

Maybe you guys out there with toy turbos could tell us your tales and list the highest k's.

------------------
470,800 and rising

1 - 20 of 24 Posts