BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
What model of diff? do you need a new ring and pinion? do you just want to install a locker?

---------------------------
78 3/4T 350 chev

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it s a 12 bolt diff, 6 lugs has 3.73 with posi i probally need it all redone becuse it was locking up on me , i already replaced it if a non posi unit i wanna get this one done up with a locker so i have a back up ready to go if i need it

·
Registered
437 Posts
I agree with automan, if you offroad your truck the 14b ff is the answer, it will also probably be cheaper to buy a good 14b ff than getting your 12bolt rebuilt, but that also means you have to go to eight bolt hubs, but in the long run it will pay for itself.

------------------------
78 3/4T 350 chev
:canadian

·
Registered
536 Posts
hey dont want to push anything on you but i have a set of front and rear diffs 8 bolt with 373s posi rear and tires and wheels all for about the same price as a new 12 bolt rear.if you decide to fix yours try iwe they do good work,my personal choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep the posi still is in the old diff, the ff 14 blot are there any major changes i would have to make to install or is it a rather easy bolt in project. easy as bolting in any rear end in lol. tho i kinda like the one i took out its the orginal diff u know it did last over 25 years , ya know built chevy tuff :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
yes its pretty much a bolt in the only thing that might give you grief is the rear drive shaft .....but one question on your diff.....when was the last time you changed your fluid and posi lube and how are your u joints?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i changed all the fluids when i bought the truck,installed new u joints when i did the tranny which was last summer, i dont think the u joints or the fluids were ever changed before i got my hands on the truck lol, i have already installed a new/ used diff on the truck , man is jkl auto expensive, lol

·
Registered
302 Posts
its not too expensive to rebuild a diff
the locker is what is expensive if u just wanr 2 rebuild what u have it would prob cost about 1000 with a minilocker or about 700 with rebuilding what u have

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yikes, you could buy a 14bolt ff and a detroit for it for less than that, and then you have the comfort of knowing your not going to break anything, and to swap in a 14b ff you need a new u-joint (mixed kind), new u-bolts and spring plate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.