BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this post has been posted before way before I came here. What IS the difference between a regular 4.0L and a HO 4.0L?

------------------
'89 4.0L Cherokee Laredo
'No woman.. don't use my shifter an oh shit handle!!!'

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
From http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/bryce/stroker/stroker.cfm:

The 4.0L comes in 3 different flavors, the early (pre '91) era 4.0L, the 4.0L HO version, and the current version found in the TJ. For the HO version, the factory updated the design of the intake, cylinder head, camshaft, exhaust, and EFI. The release of the TJ saw more improvements to the 4.0L, but these engines are still relatively scarce and expensive in wreckers. A great deal was found on a very fresh '93 4.0L, which was used for the core of this project. Any 4.0L block would work, though.

- RyeGuy

The older 4.0L had 177 hp while the HO version had 190 hp. Well, the XJ got 190 hp, the YJ got 180 hp due to header differences, if I recall correctly.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

[This message has been edited by lars (edited October 31, 2001).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got an XJ the normal 4L not the HO.. I've heard that the cam is different, along with the computer? What else?

------------------
'89 4.0L Cherokee Laredo
'No woman.. don't use my shifter as an oh shit handle!!!'

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Throttle:
I've got an XJ the normal 4L not the HO.. I've heard that the cam is different, along with the computer? What else?
See the above post. That's all I know.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by Throttle:

They use a different fuel injection system. The newer '91 and up (?) MPI system is better than the older one.

That's all I know. Where's Rob Bryce when you need him?

------------------
jo-jo
http://island4x4.com

·
Registered
358 Posts
The HO has a different head, cam, intake, injectors, throtle body & exhaust. The injectors don't seem to carbon up like the non HO.

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
umm, just exactly why do you think the 91+ MPI is better? the older style FI has a knock sensor which rins the timing as high as it can go (for max power and economy) and the older stlye system gets better gas mileage and more low end torque. the OLD style is better (the one that mopar didn't f*ck with)

------------------
89 XJ "shitbag" lowered about .75" due to my beating the **** out of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts