BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my buddy have been building up our Toys for about a year now. We have done a few camping trips in that time and had our share of spills. I hydroed my engine in Harrison lake and he ripped his entire exahust system off from the crossover. The point is now we can't camp anymore, we took all of our holidays during the summer and we are getting seriously sick and tired of rolling around in town. We are sick of the airport, sick of triangle beach and the surrey pit. What I don't understand about a lot of the people on this board is why they proceed to flame people for wheeling on private land etc... and then tell you to piss off when you ask for directions to places like Eagle, or stave etc... The most friednly response I have gotten on this subject is to go to NSOR and buy a trail book. Well I did that and it is very helpful, however it is geared more around trips rather then weekend wheeling. The closest trail they mention is Brohm. Would anyone be so kind as to e-mail me directions to stave and Eagle? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Directions to eagle ridge have been posted probably 20 times in the last 6 months and so have directions to stave, hut and others, do a search. You're not going to get directions to any hardcore trails posted on this board because the people that wheel them want to keep them secret(as possible) so they dont get wrecked by paving or bypasses, or have them turned into dumping grounds for stolen vehicles. You should hook up with groups that post that they're going out, they'll show you some good trails.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Doug:
Me and my buddy have been building up our Toys for about a year now. We have done a few camping trips in that time and had our share of spills. I hydroed my engine in Harrison lake and he ripped his entire exahust system off from the crossover.
Speaking for myself, I don't get the warm and fuzzies when someone tells me they hydro'd their motor when they were driving in a lake. Crossing through a salmon-bearing stream was why the Clear Creek trail was closed. I'm sure Fisheries would be equally peeved if they saw fourwheelers driving their trucks in lakes.

We are sick of the airport, sick of triangle beach and the surrey pit. What I don't understand about a lot of the people on this board is why they proceed to flame people for wheeling on private land etc... and then tell you to piss off when you ask for directions to places like Eagle, or stave etc.
People have told you to "piss off" when you asked for directions to Eagle Ridge or Stave? I find that a bit difficult to believe. Just this weekend there was a trail clean-up on Eagle Ridge and the meeting place was posted on this board AND the mailing list. To get to Eagle Ridge, all you have to do is drive to the very, very end of Johnson Rd in Coquitlam.

For Stave, just head east on Dewdney Trunk and make a left just before the dam that is at the south end of Stave Lake.

As for directions to the more extreme trails, there is a pretty obvious reason why people are unlikely to make that information public. Extreme trails are for experienced fourwheelers who have properly equipped their vehicles and know how to responsibly tackle those trails. They have to have the correct mind-set to attempt these trails because the last thing we need are people who's first response is to whip out the chainsaw whenever their truck is in danger of taking serious damage. Going on these trails comes with an implicit acceptance of the risks of fourwheeling and the grit to suffer the damage rather than take the easy way out and modify the trail.

It also requires the experience to know when your "balls to the wall" approach may get you through a section but in doing so, will ruin it for future use. Hard core fourwheeling is equally about past experience and the time you've spent building your truck wisely as well as the skill you display on the trail. Until you've put in the time and money, the odds are that you (not YOU in particular but the generic "you") are going to screw things up for the rest of us. In short, if you've been at it long enough and earn the respect of other 'wheelers, you WILL be shown the trails. But to expect people to send this information to perfect strangers is beyond realistic expectations.

I know there are going to be some of you who are going to accuse me of being an elitist. It's an easy out but I'd be more impressed if you can come up with a better solution to keeping the morons off the trails.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

[This message has been edited by lars (edited October 14, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by lars (edited October 14, 2001).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
419 Posts
couldn't have put it any better.
My two cents is, just don't ruin it for the rest of us. Respect begets respect.

------------------
'89 4.0L Cherokee Laredo
'No woman.. don't use my shifter an oh shit handle!!!'

·
Registered
149 Posts
Lars pretty much summed it up.
I'll take damaged sheet metal over taking out a tree on a trail anytime - unfortunately, I'm am a minority. Most people will whip out the chainsaw. That's why the hardcore trails NEED to stay as secret as possible. A public forum such as this is not a good idea to post the directions in my opinion.

I'm sure you'll find people here that will be willing to take you along to one of those trails, as long as you have the "right" attitude to wheeling. I guess you just have to get to know people.

<edit>
I showed up to help build a cool trail a little while ago, and this trail has since been discovered and altered by some people, resulting in some bypasses which make the trail less fun. It really pisses me off that people show up and put in their free time to build something, and someone comes along and F*cks it up for everyone. So I think you can understand why this "secrecy" thing comes up.

[This message has been edited by Greg W (edited October 14, 2001).]

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Step one, go to the clubs section of BC4x4.com

Step two, contact a club and see about going out on a trail ride with them

Step three, repeat.

My club, The Herd of Turtles, next run is Sunday October 28th. Sunrise Lake and such around Harrison. This is the last scheduled 4WDABC Maintenance run of the year.
Meet 9AM at the Sasquatch Inn parking lot off hwy 7 and underway by 9:15AM
As always, all are welcome.

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
112 Posts
Too difficult to come up with a better explanation...

You are an ELITIST!!!!

I guess I'm not hardcore enough to wheel with the mighty Lars... sigh.

------------------
CJ-5 Foolinjected 350, Lifted, Locked, 8274, Yada yada yada...

·
Registered
149 Posts
You are an ELITIST!!!!

I guess I'm not hardcore enough to wheel with the mighty Lars... sigh.
Nobody said they won't take you along. The WHOLE point of this argument (which has been argued before on this board) is that by posting in a public forum such as this, the information can get out to irresponsible people. Nobody is saying "You're not good enough for the trail" etc. Like I said before, if you ask around, somebody will be willing to take you along.
Unless you've seen a trail be destroyed or closed down due to abuse, you might not be able to see the reasoning behind it.
Again, as has been discussed before, this is by no means the ideal or perfect solution, but nobody has been able to come up with a better one.

I myself don't know the locations of the best trails around here, but I can understand the reasoning behind this, and hope that I have made a good enough impression on people that they wouldn't mind taking me along or sending me the info on how to get to the trail.

You don't absolutely have to join a club to learn about trails. This is why this forum is so great, where non club members can hook up together and go wheeling.

Maybe the views are elitist, but I think (hope) that you can at least see the other side of the coin here. Hardcore trails are very fer and far between, and are an endagered species. The only thing these "elitists" want is that these trails remain hardcore, and remain open.

greg.
------------------------------------------
...rockstacking is NOT a victimless crime

·
Chump
624 Posts
I think this guy was making a joke and you missed it.....
......maybe he is not good enough for Upper Hut judging by the picture on the front of bc4x4.com ha ha

Originally posted by Greg W:
Nobody said they won't take you along. been argued before on this board) is that by posting in a public forum such as this, the information can get out to irresponsible people. Nobody is saying "You're not good enough for the trail" etc. .

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think this guy was making a joke and you missed it.....
......maybe he is not good enough for Upper Hut judging by the picture on the front of bc4x4.com ha ha
Doh! Don't I feel stupid now. Sorry, it just didn't click in

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just kidding!!!!!!

My truck is good enough for Upper Hut, its the stupidity of the driver that seemed to shine that day!

------------------
CJ-5 Foolinjected 350, Lifted, Locked, 8274, Yada yada yada...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts